Communal village taxes

Questions about living in properties with shared/common facilities
Blackbird

Communal village taxes

Post by Blackbird »

Hi all :-))

It`s my first visit here, and it looks like a great site !

I have a query about the village taxes on an apartment block -

We all pay our individual village tax on our individual apartments, but received a bill for an extra €200 for more village taxes. When I queried this at the office, I was told that we have to pay this for the whole apartment block ! Surely we don`t have to pay village taxes twice? He then told me that we wouldn`t have to pay it next year :-? Since we have never had to pay anything but our personal village tax in the 3 years we have been here, surely this is a mistake? (The bank paid this bill but has since refunded it to our account)

Any advice gratefully received !!

Regards
Blackbird
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Communal village taxes

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Blackbird and welcome to the forum,

You should only pay the local taxes for your property. Has anyone else received a similar demand?

There is also a tax payable to the local authority if you rent your property - would this be applicable in your case?

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Hi Nigel, thanks for the kind welcome.

I realised that the bank where we have our communal account, had taken money from the account and paid a bill presented to them from the local council office.
When I queried it at the bank, they told me it was for `communal charge`, I visited the local council office where I was told there was a communal charge for the whole complex !!! I was astounded to say the least. When I asked what this was for, the guy behind the desk just mumbled, I tried to get my point across but he just didn`t seem interested, and then he said - "you won`t have to pay it next year !!!!"
I went back to the bank and complained that they had taken money from the communal account with no authorization. After a bit of huffing and puffing, they said they would look into it. The next day the money was refunded into our account, and the bank apologised.

I now check the communal account statement every week.

We don`t rent our apartment out, we live here :-)) :-)) :-))

Regards
Blackbird
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Blackbird

There was obviously a mix up somewhere - at least you got your money back.

REgards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

Hello Blackbird and welcome.

What village are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, if you want to challenge this payment ask the council to point you in the direction of the law that says you have to pay it, or refuse to pay it.

They can't just make up taxes as they go along. It is possible that some taxes may just never have been enforced and that now things are tough, they are trying all sorts to get money in. Eitherway, just ask them to explain it to you or your lawyer, that'll shut them up.

Good luck

Pan
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Hi :-))

Sorry I haven`t been back in touch, been back and forward to the UK for various reasons.

I live in Pissouri. This issue has been raised again by the Village Office, telling me that our communal account money must pay for all the apartments in the block when there are only 3 contributors to the account. (The other apartments are either unsold or are owned by people who we have never seen) I asked for the bill that shows that money is owed, and was told it had been sent out in the mail ( :lol: :lol: :lol: , I`ve had one delivery in 5 years) He also said the bank clerk had to re-pay the money to the bank as she made the mistake of paying it in the first place, and that I should pay the money and get it back from the other owners. He couldn`t tell me what the charge was for, and said that if people didn`t pay, he could get their water turned off.

If he catches up with me :-) I`ll ask for another bill.

So, I take it that nobody else pays two lots of village taxes ????

Thanks again for your responses, sometimes you can feel very alone when you are batting your head off a brick wall.

Regards

Blackbird
clive of payia

Post by clive of payia »

Same problem here in Peyia. People have been told to pay what they say is a Town Tax. No bills are sent out and no receipts for payment are given. I questioned this payment on the basis that surely it is illegal for a goverment department to demand payment without a bill being sent out before hand. I have not heard a thing since and have not been ask to pay again - been living in Peyia for ten years.
Ask at the Peyia Municipality information desk and they tell you that Peyia doesn't charge a town tax. You only pay for Refuse and Water they tell you. I am convinced that it is a little scam to bolster the funds of the Peyia football team which is a private club.