Announcements concerning the buying and selling of property in Cyprus
Post Reply
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin
Posts: 2722
Joined: 24 Oct 2007 14:38
Location: Erimi, Limassol, Cyprus


Post by Nigel Howarth »

The Cyprus Ministry of Health has confirmed that it will become necessary for S1 certificate holders to demonstrate their entitlement to free healthcare and in turn they will not be subjected to contributions to GESY (the Cyprus General Health System.)

You are most likely to be asked to produce such evidence to the Cyprus Inland Revenue Department, who originated the requirement and to banks if you have deposits which earn interest paid in Cyprus.

To request the Letter of Confirmation to your S1 holder entitlement, you are asked to send an email to the Medical Card Department, Ministry of Health, Nicosia using one of the following email addresses;

Mr Soteris Stratis ( or
Mrs Tasoula Michael (


Your Full name
Date of birth
ID number

Married couples; please send one email showing details of both husband and wife. A confirmation letter will be issued addressed to the husband or pensioner in the marriage.

You will receive the Confirmation Letter via email within a few days of applying. The letter is valid indefinitely.

To assist Mr Soteris and his department in this matter he asks that all S1 holders share this message with eligible friends and other expat groups. Where neighbours/friends do not have internet/email access, please assist by applying on their behalf.

If you require more detailed information, please call the Cyprus Ministry of Health Medical Card Department on 22605349

S1 form - what is this and how do I obtain one?

An S1 form is a healthcare certificate that entitles you and any dependants to healthcare in another EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland on the same basis as a resident of that country.

The form may be referred to as a E106, E109, E120 or E121 depending upon the reason it’s been issued.

Each country’s healthcare system is different and may not include all the things you might expect to get free of charge from the NHS.

This means that you may have to make a payment contribution towards the cost of your care (known as a ‘co-payment’).

You can find out more on the NHS website.

If you are unsure as to what you’re expected to pay for, you should discuss this with the treatment facility directly before you obtain treatment.

You can apply for an S1 for yourself and any dependants if you fall into one of the following groups:

You are in receipt of a UK exportable benefit (e.g. a UK State Pension)

You are a posted worker who pays compulsory NI contributions in the UK

If you are in receipt of a UK exportable benefit, this certificate is issued by Overseas Healthcare Services at the NHSBSA. You can contact us on:

0191 218 1999 (option 5) if you are calling from the UK

0044 191 218 1999 (option 5) if you are calling from outside of the UK

If you are a posted worker, this certificate is issued by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC); you can contact them on:

0191 203 7010 if you are calling from the UK

0044 191 203 7010 if you are calling from outside of the UK

If you are not entitled to an S1, you will need to contact the local authority in your country of residence for advice on how to register for healthcare and how to apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Post Reply