Buying property from a bank.

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
oystein_tandberg

Buying property from a bank.

Post by oystein_tandberg »

I am planning to buy a property and the seller is a Cyprus bank. How can I make sure that there are no encumbrance on the property?

Apart for being denied access, water, electricity, building permits - what else can go wrong? I am buying the plot to grow vegetables, so the above mentioned issues are not so relevant, and the price is not high, so it is not a big risk - but I don't want to buy debt.

I will go to the bank and sign the papers there so I will have the time to ask questions - what should I ask them?

Best regards
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Buying property from a bank.

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Dear Oystein

Please see my reply to your earlier message at https://www.cyprus-property-buyers.com/ ... 7828#p7829 - you will need to instruct the lawyer you engage to check that there are no encumbrances on the property.

If you are planning to grow vegetables, you will definitely need water!

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
oystein_tandberg

Post by oystein_tandberg »

Thank you for your help Nigel.

It is my understanding that a surveyor would be very helpful to evaluate if the property is suitable for our needs.

However, is there no way we can check for ourselves if the property has any encumberance? We are paying the full amount up front, and we are not going to build or connect to anything. The only thing I am worried about is any hidden liabilities.

If the only way is to hire a lawyer to check if there are any encumburance - how much would we expect to pay? Will a surveyor be able to do this job, or does it have to be a registered lawyer?

Best regards
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

oystein_tandberg wrote: 04 Jan 2020 13:32However, is there no way we can check for ourselves if the property has any encumberance? We are paying the full amount up front, and we are not going to build or connect to anything. The only thing I am worried about is any hidden liabilities.
Yes, you can check yourselves. I published an article nearly 10 years ago on how you can do this - New title search procedures in Cyprus.

I believe the charge is €20.00 and it was take the Land Registry a few days to produce report.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

Nigel Howarth wrote: 04 Jan 2020 16:51
oystein_tandberg wrote: 04 Jan 2020 13:32However, is there no way we can check for ourselves if the property has any encumberance? We are paying the full amount up front, and we are not going to build or connect to anything. The only thing I am worried about is any hidden liabilities.
Yes, you can check yourselves. I published an article nearly 10 years ago on how you can do this - New title search procedures in Cyprus.

I believe the charge is €20.00 and it was take the Land Registry a few days to produce report.

Regards,
Hello,

just 2 things to add here. If you are just buying a plot, it would not be possible to transfer the plot to you if there were any encumbrances and at the land registry you can ask the clerk this very question. So you should buy it subject to ' No Encumbrances'.

Secondly, you can ask the bank to provide you with an N.50 search (as they are the owners and only they can get this) from the land registry and that will list any encumbrances. Failing that, they can give you permission to get it yourself.

Either way, only buy it subject to 'No Encumbrances.

Good luck.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com