Buying residential land without fence.

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
oystein_tandberg

Buying residential land without fence.

Post by oystein_tandberg »

Dear all.

Is there a service here in Cyprus that will measure your property and mark the boundaries? Is it possible to do that with some mobile phone application? Are there any rules of conduct that one should consider in these case?

The property we are interested in is not very expensive, so we plan to just trust the agency that is selling it to us. I know we need to transfer the deed to our name. There should be a cost associated with this at 3% of the total price.

Anything else I should know and expect?

Best regards
Oystein
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Buying residential land without fence.

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hello Oystein, welcome to the forum and Happy New Year.

You will need to have the land surveyed by a surveyor that's registered with the District Land Office. You can find a list at Cadastral field surveys carried out by private surveyors.

Alternatively the land can be surveyed by a governmental surveyor. Their charge is €15/hour plus €50 for up to six boundary turning points (corners.)

Putting your trust in the agent who's selling it is a bad idea! You're swimming in shark-infested waters!

- It may be unsuitable for building.
- You may not be allowed to build or the size of the house you're allowed to be build is too small.

Best to get a lawyer involved to check everything out before you part with your money.

The UK Foreign & Commonwealth publishes a list of English-speaking lawyers at List of English-speaking lawyers for British nationals in Cyprus. Most lawyers work with a surveyor who can check the land for you. (I see you're in Norway - maybe the Norway Consulate in Nicosia has a similar list for Norwegians?)

Currently, there's a 50% reduction on Property Transfer Fees. You can find an on-line calculator at Transfer Fees Calculator​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news