Satellite provision for large development

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
julie

Satellite provision for large development

Post by julie »

Hi Nigel

I wonder if you can advise on what the owners on a large complex of apartments and a few villas ( 404 properties in total) should expect to pay to have satellite provision installed. The cost we have been given by the developer is 950 euros plus VAT per property (which makes it 1092 euros per property) - this will provide 2 to 3 large dishes for the development with cabling into each property. Owners will still need to pay a subscription charge depending on which channels they wish to receive.
The developer has put a clause into the general agreement for the development which prevents individual owners putting satellite dishes on their own property due to the negative aesthetic effect this would have on the development - so we are pretty much stuck with this arrangement. I do feel however that the cost quoted seems excessive and am concerned that the developer has ignored suggestions that they should get other quotes.

Everyone will be asked to pay this charge, whether they wanted satellite or not - which makes the total amount raised about 440 000 euros - I know satellite is more expensive in Cyprus than the UK - but by that much??

I would be interested in your thoughts on this and also whether you know what the choice is concerning satellite installation companies in Cyprus and whther or not it's likely we could get a more competitive quote.

thanks
Julie
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Satellite provision for large development

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Julie

On a property by property basis, €950 + VAT per property is reasonable, but when you total them up, it's very expensive!!!

From what you say, your contract of sale does not oblige you to install a system provided by the developer - only that you cannot install one yourself.

Personally I'd tell him no - and look at cable TV as an alternative.

If you want satellite TV before you get your Title Deeds, then you may have no option but to go with the developer's quote. But it may be worthwhile getting a couple of informal quotes from satellite companies and discussing it further with the developer to see if he will reduce the charge.

(I suspect that the conduit for the cabling will have been installed when the properties were built and that it would be quite a straightforward task to get planning permission and install satellite once you have your Title Deeds).

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
julie

Post by julie »

Hi Nigel,

thanks for your response

unfortunately I think that even if / when we get title deeds the general agreement for all owners on the development will still apply - thus preventing us from installing our own satellite

the conduits for the cabling are being put in during the build process

If we considered cable TV - would that be something that had to be installed across the development? Would it be possible to use the existing conduits do you think?

I don't know much about satellite or cable especially not in Cyprus - is cable TV a good alternative & is it likely to be cheaper?

Also - the developer asked purchasers on the development to vote on whether they wanted satellite or not and the majority decision was yes but a fair proportion voted no and a number of people didn't receive voting papers in time / at all. On the basis of that vote the developer now intends to add the cost of the satellite to everyone's final payment due on completion. Our contract simply says that " provision is made in each property to receive satellite TV. Owners will make a one-off payment for the cost of satellite dishes and connections, if they choose to use the facility" - which isn't quite the same thing - would the developer be able to refuse to allow completion if that fee wasn't paid do you think?

Julie
clive of payia

Post by clive of payia »

Hello Julie,

There should be nothing stopping you putting in cable tv from say Primetel. The developer wouldn't probably even know you had it as it is delivered over normal telephone lines. OK, you wont get Sky but many people are happy with Primetel.

Just a thought.

Clive of Payia
julie

Post by julie »

Thanks Clive

not entirely sure what has been done in terms of telephone lines but will certainly try and find out
Julie
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

julie wrote:Our contract simply says that " provision is made in each property to receive satellite TV. Owners will make a one-off payment for the cost of satellite dishes and connections, if they choose to use the facility" - which isn't quite the same thing - would the developer be able to refuse to allow completion if that fee wasn't paid do you think?
The wording of your contract seems quite clear to me. If you choose not to use the satellite facility, you are not obliged to pay for it. (and it may be that the developer has the contractual obligation to provide the necessary cables - as the on-off payment is for only for the dishes and connections).

In my opinion, if you chose not to have satellite and did not to pay, the developer would be in breach of contract if he refused completion. (But I hasten to add that I am not a lawyer and you may wish to have your contract checked by a lawyer).

Clive has mentioned Primetel - and you may also be able to receive Cytavision in your area.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
julie

Post by julie »

Thanks Nigel

I'll look into it

Julie