Selling land/land dispute

Questions about selling property
Klc2104179

Selling land/land dispute

Post by Klc2104179 »

Hi there

We live in the UK but own some land in Lympia, Cyprus and had it valued back in 2012. The valuation report stated that there is a border dispute as part of another property has been built over our land (this seems to be shown on title deeds already). We instructed a Cypriot lawyer to deal with this on our behalf (recommended by the valuation expert) but after paying, we were left out of pocket with no return from him. We are now dealing with another company (have been for four years) but they, too, have been poor in following up and keeping us informed. We paid a topographer to investigate and send info to land registry but this was over 3 years ago now. We are now looking at other options as we’d like to move forward with this now.

We’d like to find out whether we could sell the land as the title deed stands now and forget about seeking compensation (as was advised). We are keen to sell and would like to know the best way forward. We know very little Greek so need to deal in English with whoever may be able to help.

Many thanks
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Selling land/land dispute

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Klc and welcome to the forum.

There was a boundary dispute on the land we purchased back in 1992. The owner of the neighbouring field claimed that a 5 metre strip of our plot and the other plots on the field boundary were his. He took us to court and lost the case.

Unfortunately boundary disputes are quite common in rural areas and old villages. The problem is due to the high accuracy of the theodolites used, which use GPS and have an accuracy of a few centimetres. In the past they used chains to establish plot boundaries.

One case in a village not far from me the owner of a property returned to see part of his garage had been demolished as it encroached on the neighbour's land. I've not heard how that was resolved.

Another case in Paphos involved a developer who encroached on neighbouring land when he built four properties. It took a few years before the purchasers of the houses realised (due to bureaucratic delays) what had happened and they each paid compensation to the land owner.

Another problem you may face is that your plot may encroach on someone else's plot. When you say a topographer I assume you're referring to a private surveyor licensed by the Lands and Surveys Department. Have you contacted him to see what he's done?

You can sell the land as it stands. But ideally you should try to resolve the matter. The British High Commission publishes a list of English-speaking lawyers that you can find at Cyprus: lawyers. I suggest you keep pushing your current lawyer to find out what they're doing before taking your case somewhere else.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news