Government ownership of property?

Questions about selling property
Ecoemma

Government ownership of property?

Post by Ecoemma »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and in need of advice. My mother owns a property in Cyprus and has done since 1978. She would like to sell it as we no longer use it. It is in need of refurbishment. However her Cyprus based letting agent, who is also in the business of selling property, has been trying to convince my mother that because of taxation changes that the government owns half the property, even though it is solely in my mother's name. Now I think he's spinning her a line as he is quite keen on buying the property from her for his own leasing business.

Is anyone able to tell me what on earth he's on about and if this is even real. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Also any tips on how to sell a property remotely, i.e. from the UK without having to actually be there in person. Estate agents, solicitors etc.

Looking forward to all and any advice.
Pantheman

Re: Government ownership of property?

Post by Pantheman »

Ecoemma wrote: 27 Jul 2017 13:56 Hi, I'm new to this forum and in need of advice. My mother owns a property in Cyprus and has done since 1978. She would like to sell it as we no longer use it. It is in need of refurbishment. However her Cyprus based letting agent, who is also in the business of selling property, has been trying to convince my mother that because of taxation changes that the government owns half the property, even though it is solely in my mother's name. Now I think he's spinning her a line as he is quite keen on buying the property from her for his own leasing business.

Is anyone able to tell me what on earth he's on about and if this is even real. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Also any tips on how to sell a property remotely, i.e. from the UK without having to actually be there in person. Estate agents, solicitors etc.

Looking forward to all and any advice.
He is telling you porkies by the sounds of it.

The government do not and cannot own half your property.

Your mother is free to sell it as she pleases.

Selling remotely is straight forward, you find an estate agent you want to work with, all paperwork can be done via post. he will need access (pref a key) to get the photos and description and again for viewings.

Where is the property based, if it is in the Famagusta area perhaps we can help. Also, we would take care of the lawyers and legals.

Good luck and don't believe what the agent says, in fact, given he does not appear very trustworthy perhaps you should not place it with him!
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Good morning Ecoemma

As Pan has said - the government do not and cannot own half your property.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Ecoemma

Post by Ecoemma »

Thanks for the prompt replies. I thought that the agent was feeding her a bunch of rubbish, just needed to check.

Thanks again!