Non-Resident Mortgage Requirements

Financial questions answered by Independent Financial Advisor Mark Nowell

Moderator: MarkN

nath1194

Non-Resident Mortgage Requirements

Post by nath1194 »

Hello,

First of all, I hope this is posted in the correct place but feel free to inform me if I should better seek answers elsewhere :)

My main query regards my partner and I who are emigrating in August of this year. We have family out in Cyprus who we will be staying with primarily, however very soon hope to buy our own, first property. In order to do this, we will require a mortgage. Whilst we know we will require a 20-40% deposit amount (this is no issue) we have seen great variances between banks in the time required to have been living in Cyprus before you can take a non-resident mortgage out.

Does anyone have any experience with taking one out or is able to provide the duration required by any particular bank to have resided in Cyprus before being considered for an application?

Many thanks,
Nathan
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Non-Resident Mortgage Requirements

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Nathan and welcome to the forum.

Non-resident mortgages are designed for those not resident in Cyprus. Once you move here and register with the Immigration authorities and the Tax Department you will be resident and will be able to apply for a standard mortgage from any of the banks.

I don't really understand why you want a non-resident mortgage?

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

My understanding is that a 'n0n-resident' mortgage is not a mortgage at all, but an investment loan and usually at a much higher interest rate.

So, if you plan to remain here, do the this nags that Nigel as stated before applying for the mortgage. Although, you may have to have a rental agreement or title for a property as an address, I am not so sure they will accept living with family.

The yellow slip will also require you to have some form of income, job, rent from a UK property, pension or such like and medical cover insurance.

Good luck.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
nath1194

Post by nath1194 »

Nigel Howarth wrote: 08 Jan 2020 19:09 Non-resident mortgages are designed for those not resident in Cyprus. Once you move here and register with the Immigration authorities and the Tax Department you will be resident and will be able to apply for a standard mortgage from any of the banks.
I don't really understand why you want a non-resident mortgage?
Hi Nigel, thanks for your response.

I was under the impression that the yellow slip wouldn't permit us to apply as residents, but could as non-residents, but perhaps I'm confusing that with Permanent Residency? Can I just confirm then, once we have the Certificate of Registration (yellow slip), we would be permitted to apply for a Residents Mortgage/normal Mortgage arrangement? I think I have become confused between Resident and Permanent Residency.

Many thanks for your clarification.

Thanks also Pantheman, that makes sense at what I've read so far!
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Nathan

I've been trawling the banks and the loans they offer. The only one I've found that mentions residency is the Bank of Cyprus Investment Loan, which states:

"The scheme is offered to permanent residents of Cyprus only. If you are not a permanent resident of Cyprus for the last 5 years, call in at any of our Bank of Cyprus branch to find out about your options."

I'm pretty sure that you'd be able to get a 'normal' mortgage. Maybe your family here could check with their bank?

To get a mortgage, the property you're purchasing must have a Title Deed. If you buy a property without a Title Deed (which is not recommended given the on-going problems) you will be offered a home loan. This is because a mortgage uses the property being purchased as collateral - and without a Title Deed, a property does not exist. Furthermore when/if a Title Deed for the property is issued, the bank will convert the home loan to a mortgage and lodge it as a claim against the property - and the Land Registry will charge you 1% of the loan advanced (not the balance of the loan) for this 'service'.

If you have the choice of which currency to have the mortgage, you should choose the money in which your income derives. This will avoid vagaries in exchange rates.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
nath1194

Post by nath1194 »

Hi Nigel,

This information is perfect thank you so much for your help. Very much appreciated!

Regards,
Nathan
apa512

Post by apa512 »

AstroBank considers less than 3 years of residence the same as non-resident for loan purposes, but they may be an exception.