Ability to sue without Title Deeds

Legal questions answered by Cyprus property lawyer Louise Zambartas

Moderator: louisez

emgee

Ability to sue without Title Deeds

Post by emgee »

Dear Louise

I understand that recently a Management Committee WITHOUT Title Deeds successfully won a case against non-payers of Management Fees in the Cyprus Courts. I've looked in several BBs etc but not found anything, do you have any information please.

Thank You

Alan
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Ability to sue without Title Deeds

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Alan,

It is certainly possible to establish and register a Management Committee even though Title Deed shave yet to be issued. Take a look at Louise's article at http://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers. ... /id=003397

Once registered, the committee can take legal action against non-payers.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
partner

Post by partner »

Dear Nigel and Louise,

I have read what Louise says in her excellent article about management committees. One thing is confusing though. She says: "The owner is defined by the law as the person entitled to be registered as the owner or the actual person registered. Therefore, a project without separate deeds can be registered."

We went to the Land Registry in Paphos and asked whether we could register a committee for our development. The person who helped us even involved a more knowledgeable colleague who told us that we cannot register a committee because we do not have tittle deeds. They told us that they do have to check that all the people (50%+ of the owners) who selected the committee members are the legal owners indeed and that that CANNOT BE DONE BEFORE WE HAVE TITTLE DEEDS.

Are different land registry offices saying different things?
best regards,
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

partner wrote:Are different land registry offices saying different things?
It would appear so. I know for a fact that Management Committees have been set up on the Eastern side of the island by people without Title Deeds.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news