Troublesome tenant - What rights do I have?

Legal questions answered by Cyprus property lawyer Louise Zambartas

Moderator: louisez

Aleo

Troublesome tenant - What rights do I have?

Post by Aleo »

Hi all,

I have a tenant in my 2bedroom flat in Pervolia. She is a single mother of 2 children (under 14years), whose rent is paid by the government. They've become quite troublesome tenants, arguing, shouting constantly, breaking the balcony doors, damaging neighbors' property and they even keep 4 dogs in a single cage inside the property (unfortunately, I didn't limit the number of pets in the tenant agreement). My neighbors complain about them almost daily, police have been called a number of times and even the local council has had to step in to prevent them from leaving dog waste outside on the balcony to rot. She moved in August 2019. I have given her a warning and she seems to have fixed the balcony door, but the family is still a nuisance to the other tenants of the building and I'm pretty sure the inside of the flat will need a total overhaul when the contract is finished.

From the texts and calls I receive, they seem like neighbors from hell. As an overseas landlord, I feel like the letting agent did not do her due diligence and just wanted to get paid.

I need some advice as to whether there is anything I can do to evict them and get a less dysfunctional tenant? Many thanks.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Troublesome tenant - What rights do I have?

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Ann

A difficult situation. I know from other people who've contacted me that it can be difficult to evict tenants. The are changes to the law in the pipeline to help landlords evict non-paying tenants and there could possibly be other provisions that could help.

You'll need to take advice from a lawyer on what you can do. George Coucounis (one of the lawyers on the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office's list of lawyer) wrote an article on this subject at https://cyprus-mail.com/2017/04/30/term ... ng-notice/

Your Management Committee should be active in dealing with the noise, nuisance and the dogs. It's their responsibility to ensure to ensure owners and occupants comply with the law and regulations. You can read more about this on page 15 & 16 of the Jointly-Owned Buildings Law.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news