procedure on land deed

Legal questions answered by Cyprus property lawyer Louise Zambartas

Moderator: louisez

leniaa4

procedure on land deed

Post by leniaa4 »

This is for Louise,

can you please advice on the procedure of getting a land deed registered in my name.

The land was in my mothers name and she in return had it registered in November 2007 in my name and my two sisters.
So we received a deed which says that the land is divided by 3 and we all have a separate deed stating in each persons name that the person owns one 3rd of the land. We have already paid the local council for the pedestrian paths to be done (when they want). We also had someone from the registry come around in October 2008 to confirm the position of the land and we applied for registering separate deeds in our names, at the time they told us all was fine and that we would receive the separate deeds with in 2-3 weeks. Its now 5 months and we are still waiting. I would like to sell my property as soon as possible.
So my questions are 1) how long does it really take to get a deed? and 2) can I sell my property without having the separate deed?

your help is very much appreciated as living in London and having to chase this up is very frustrating for me and my sisters who want to built on their part of the land.

Kind regards,

Lenia
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: procedure on land deed

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hello Lenia and welcome to the forum.

I've moved your question to Louise section. She's in the UK at the moment but will be back in Cyprus next week.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: procedure on land deed

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hello Lenia,

I've just checked with the Lands & Surveys website. Here's what it says about partitioning your land:

• Registration upon partition of properties held in undivided shares

Any immovable property consisting of one or more plots and held by two or more persons in undivided shares may be partitioned upon agreement reached between all co-owners and be registered in their names with the Department of Lands & Surveys which shall issue a separate title to each co-owner for the property or part of the property allocated to him/her.

The application for registration may be filed (whether handwritten or typed) with the Lands Office of the District where the properties are situated. Such application must be signed by all co-owners or their agents requesting the registration of the properties as per the agreement reached between the parties.

Documents attached to the application

a. Certificates of registration (titles) of the properties.
    b. Agreement of partition made in writing and signed by all the registered co- owners whose signatures must be certified.
    c. Written consents obtained from any mortgagee or other creditors in whose favour an encumbrance operates.
    d. Survey plan showing the division of any parcel under partition signed by all co- owners.

For all fees payable see: Fees and Charges

Time required for completion of the procedure

Where the agreement does not provide for the division of any plot and the titles are based on any plans in use, the application shall be processed without any local enquiry within a short period (six months). Where the agreement provides for a subdivision of one or more immovable properties and a local enquiry is required the processing of the application takes more time as other factors need to be taken into account.
[/color]

You can see the original text at: http://www.moi.gov.cy/MOI/CitizensChart ... enDocument

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news