Renting out property - holiday let

Legal questions answered by Cyprus property lawyer Louise Zambartas

Moderator: louisez

Michelle

Renting out property - holiday let

Post by Michelle »

I'm hoping someone can help.

We bought a house on a complex a few years ago and have used it for family and friends. We are now hoping to rent it out via booking.com and have applied for a CTO licence.

It has been brought to my attention that the management company will be including a clause in the management constitution to say that no property can be let out to holiday makers. Is this clause legally binding and can they enforce this as it's my house which is fully paid for and title deeds held. Obviously we won't be doing anything until we have the correct licence.

We don't want to upset anyone but would like to know where we stand legally.

Many thanks
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Renting out property - holiday let

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Michelle

If your Management Committee wishes to stop owners renting their property, they will have to amend the standard regulations contained in the law.

The law states "The owners of the units of jointly-owned buildings may draw up Regulations and amend, revise, replace or revoke them by a decision of the owners of at least seventy-five per cent (75%) of the joint ownership, except if a different percentage is prescribed by or by virtue of this Part in relation to any specific matter." (Would 75% of the ownership agree to the change?)

It also states "No Regulation and no amendment, revision, replacement or revocation of any Regulation may have the effect of - (b) terminating, altering or abolishing the rights of any owner of a unit;" (You have the right to rent your property.)

In my opinion, your Management Committee cannot change the Regulations in a way that will prevent you from renting your property.

I suggest you have my opinion confirmed by a lawyer.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

Thank you so much for your speedy and comprehensive response. I have emailed my solicitor to ask the question as suggested.

Michelle
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

Thanks Nigel I just wanted to let you know that my solicitor has confirmed the same as you - thank you
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

That's a relief Michelle :-)

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news