Inheritance of the property in Cyprus

Frequently asked questions about buying & selling property in Cyprus
Maksim

Inheritance of the property in Cyprus

Post by Maksim »

Dear Friends,

I'm in process of buying the property from a developer in Cyprus, for 6 years I will have to pay the installments for the property, and after 6 years, I will receive title deeds, until then my interest will be registered in Land Register. If something happens to me I would like my son to inherit this property.

Do you know if it's better to put him as a co-owner of the property?

or

It's better to write a will?

So, I would protect him from unnecessary legal procedures, and make sure that the property will not go back to the developer.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Inheritance of the property in Cyprus

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Maksim and welcome to the forum

It's absolutely essential that you make a Will in Cyprus to ensure you son inherits the property.

If you're an EU citizen, your Will must include a paragraph stating that you wish the devolution of your property in Cyprus to be governed by the Law of your Nationality, namely (your nationality) Law.

This will ensure that if you die before the Title Deed for the property is registered in your name, your son will inherit your interest in the property (i.e. to have the Title Deed registered in his name.)

It will also ensure that your son inherits the property the property at some later date when you die.

If you are not an EU citizen, it's more difficult as the devolution of your property in Cyprus will be governed by the Cypriot laws regarding inheritance.

But in any event you need to take legal advice on this matter. If you decide to appoint a lawyer in Cyprus as your executor or the administer of your estate, it is essential that you agree their fees beforehand and have them written into your Will (otherwise there's a possibility that your estate could de overcharged.)

The British Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) provides a list of English-speaking lawyers who can assist you at https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -of-cyprus (I suggest you print the page to see the full details.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news