Another New Member

Drop in & say hello
Ped

Another New Member

Post by Ped »

After trawling the net for info on Cypriot VAT laws, I happily stumbled into Nigel's website!

He has been a great help on the Anglo-Info site as well, with insights into the labyrinth that is imported car registration.

Sadly, my wife and I are leaving Cyprus and returning to Bermuda. We're both teachers and I've been very fortunate in being offered my old Head of English post to complete what I started there over six years ago; the salary, pension and security are just too good to be ignored as I approach my 50th.

It's with a heavy heart that we will leave Cyprus, but at least we had a real go of trying to settle here, and may if we're lucky, make a few bob when we sell the 18 month old apartment.

Enter this web site. Expats often move and try to settle into new countries on a wing & a prayer, not really anticipating or planning for the newness and strangeness of customs, laws and cultures. We have had a few problems that seemed intractable when we moved here, but matters do eventually unravel if with painstaking patience at times.

A pity I didn't get to hear about good folk like Nigel earlier! :)
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Another New Member

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Welcome Ped,

Sorry to hear that you're planning to leave Cyprus - are you both teaching here?

I'm afraid that many people move here on impulse, having done very little research apart from the odd holiday or two. I get contacted by people asking how they can claim child benefit or where they go to collect their old age pension - it's frightening at times!

I wish you every success in your teaching post in Bermuda - maybe you'll be back in Cyprus when your working days are over?

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Ped

Re: Another New Member

Post by Ped »

Maybe you should branch-out to the equivalent of an expatriate CAB service with C for Cyprus Nigel? :lol:

It's not living in Cyprus that's been the problem but working here; in fact I think Cyprus is a fabulous place to retire to, but as a working environment....? Well, not in teaching anyway, not until European labour law has a full impact legally on contractual employer-employee obligations. I won't say anymore or run the risk of breaking into an Orwellian polemic! :x

We're both teaching here and have had a brimful of nonsense, so pastures anew beckon. Florida's looking very good as a sound holiday home/retirement investment. I don't think the possibilities and advantages of investing in property there have been fully awakened to UK investors, yet. Given the favourable £-$ exchange rate you get a whole lot more for your money, and the cultural and language adjustments are far less complicated.

I would love to comeback to Cyprus, as I've always been an ardent Grecophile since my more youthful years, but I get the sneaking feeling that my better half's going to win this one and we'll be flying out from Bermuda to Florida on a regular basis until 'she who must be obeyed' finds our 'ideal' bolt-hole.

Either way, life's much too short to be dithering, so I will wish you a goodnight and get my much needed beauty sleep. :wink: