Yiassas!

Drop in & say hello
NavyMikeCyprus

Yiassas!

Post by NavyMikeCyprus »

Hello all,

Former Limassol and Larnaca resident. My wife and I will be buying a property in Limassol for retirement in the near future. I've been a big fan of Nigel's work and writings since 2009 and I always read the CPN site. If anyone has a recommendation for a reputable Cypriot attorney to tend to my purchase needs I would appreciate it. I've been worn down by the number of attorneys who insist that you use their real estate office and their legal office in order to file the paperwork for your Cypriot visa by virtue of a property purchase.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Yiassas!

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Kalimera Mike and welcome to the forum.

You can find the list of English speaking lawyers provided by the British High Commission by clicking here.

My personal recommendation is Louise Zambartas (a dually qualified English lawyer) whose firm is based in Limassol. You'll find her contact details on the list above.

I notice you mention a visa - this is not required from EU citizens. Current advice from the High Commission is that you obtain an MEU1 (Registration Certificate) and then an MEU3 (Permanent Residence Certificate). But this needs to be done before Brexit.

No-one knows how the situation regarding residence, etc. will change post-Brexit. (I bought property in 1992 without any problems and my wife and obtained residence in 2002, which was before Cyprus joined the EU.)

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
NavyMikeCyprus

Post by NavyMikeCyprus »

Nigel,

Thanks for the Brexit info but we're not British, we're Yanks. My wife's father is from Spain so she is entitled to Spanish citizenship but I would have to reside in Spain for a year with her in order to get an EU identity card which would allow us to migrate to Cyprus without issue or, we could buy a new home for 300,000 Euros or higher and get a long term visa. I did notice the information on Kyria Zambartas after I posted here and we will be contacting her for information when we move to Germany in October.

Thanks for all of your help. I'm a big fan of your work!
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Apologies Mike - I didn't appreciate you're American.

I have an American friend in my Rotary club - he's from Alabama and has been resident in Cyprus with his family for many years. I think he's in the States at the moment and I'm in the UK. Maybe it would be useful if I put you both in touch?

Louise's husband George (marine & commercial lawyer) is also a member of my club.

Unfortunately Louise doesn't have the time to reply to answer legal questions and I'm sure she'll do a good job for you.

If you visit the Migration web page of the Civil Registry & Migration Department, I think you may qualify for an Immigration Permit under category F. But I'm sure Louise will be able to advise.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
NavyMikeCyprus

Post by NavyMikeCyprus »

Nigel,

Thanks for all of the good advice. I'll get in touch with all of these folks prior to my first visit back to Kypros.

Efaristo para poli,

Mike