New lawyer WANTED Title problems

Drop in & say hello
John sawyer

New lawyer WANTED Title problems

Post by John sawyer »

The following message was posted on the forum last year and my problem is still not resolved.i desperately need a new lawyer or advice on how to proceed, thanks, john

Hi can you help
About 10 years ago my wife and I, both UK residents, purchased a villa, through a well known estate agent. The villa was sited on a small piece of land in an agricultural part of Cyprus over looking the sea. The developer owned the land and constructed the property. The owner retained half of the land, the remaining land and the villa were sold to us. The contracts were drawn up by a lawyer recommended by the estate agents.
Approximately five years ago we requested that the lawyer concluded the documentation for registration with the land registry, to be advised that the owner was wrong to retain the land as he only had permission for the construction of one property on the plot. He has title for the total plot and is demanding an exorbitant price for the remaining piece of land so that we would own the plot in total, hence ensuring that title could be granted. Is this extortion and therefor criminal?
We are anxious to ensure that our investment in Cyprus both secure and would like the ability to sell it soon.
We have, through our lawyer, approached the civil court however the owner is employing delaying tactics and our lawyer has advised us that it will take about 3 years for this matter to be resolved.
Is there another solution through the criminal courts or should we seek the services of another lawyer, if they would be prepared to take it on from one of their kind?
Sorry for all the questions, but we are desperate to resolve the problem of my 500,000 plus investment.
Mr Worried
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: New lawyer WANTED Title problems

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Dear John,

Sadly the courts here only work part time - they shut up shop at 13:13 or 14:30 (I can't remember which).

There was a dispute on the land I purchased back in 1992, which took the court 4 years to resolve.

If you are looking for another lawyer to take over the case, I suggest you select one from the list provided by the British High Commission in Nicosia.

If you do engage one of these lawyers to work on your behalf, you will need to discharge the current incumbent and collect your file. Here's a draft letter you can use:
  • "Dear name of old lawyer

Please accept this email as notice of our intention to discharge you as our lawyers henceforth.

All and any powers of attorney which you hold are revoked. (if applicable)

We would appreciate your confirmation of receipt of this notification together with written confirmation that your fees have been paid in full.

Please send our file to;

Name and address of your new lawyer

Thank you for your prompt attention."
Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news