do I need a UK solicitor and a Cyprus one?

Drop in & say hello
SueJ

do I need a UK solicitor and a Cyprus one?

Post by SueJ »

Ok I've done it - fallen in love with the island and want to buy a 2- 3 bed apartment - hopefully to cover costs through renting and later to retire to... because I'm using 3rd party money - do I need a solicitor in UK as well as Cyprus? Meaning how to ensure all is completed legally - regarding names / accounts etc ?
Sue
Dreaming of a Sunny Life...
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: do I need a UK solicitor and a Cyprus one?

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Sue and welcome to the forum.

You'll need a lawyer in Cyprus and I suggest you engage the services of one of those on the list provided by the British High Commission in Nicosia. You don't need a lawyer based in the UK.

I'm afraid the chances of renting the property to cover the costs are negligible - there are thousands of holiday homes for rent and too few people looking to rent them.

To reduce any potential risks, I suggest that you restrict your search to properties that have already been issued with their all important Title Deed.

Finally, download a copy of my free guide Buying Property in Cyprus - Golden Commandments for home buyers and real estate investors.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Brookster

Post by Brookster »

Hi Sue,
When you select a Solicitor make sure they are not representing the developer as well - we fell foul of this & it caused many problems indeed.

Brookster
emgee

Post by emgee »

Sue3

It is unlikely that your rental income will pay your mortgage on any property you buy. Don't listen to anyone else who says it wiil.

Alan