Purchase of a plot for building

You'll need land to build a custom home
VCY

Purchase of a plot for building

Post by VCY »

Hi everyone,

We're now considering to purchase a land plot to construct a bungalow.

We have a few questions on our mind:

1) What checks we need to do before finalizing the purchase? I.e. verification that the plot indeed belongs to the seller, anything else? From the online system of land registry we see that the size and building coefficients are as advertised.
2) The plot is around 1300 m2 and we do not need that much land. Is it possible to divide the plot into two later on, after the building is erected? Any info on the procedure? I tried to search online but couldn't find anything useful.

Any advise/recommendations would be appreciated.
Pantheman

Re: Purchase of a plot for building

Post by Pantheman »

Hello,

Here are the kinds of things you need to verify (not exhaustive):

1. Zone the plot is in. Just because it has coefficients doesn't necessarily mean you can use them.

2. Is it attached to a public road, and if so what is it's width. Needs to be a min 12ft.

3. Are the utilities close by, electric, water, telephone as it may be costly to bring them.

4. If it is agricultural land how far is it from the residential zone? Since if it is more than 500m at present you may not get a planning permit.

5. Have you checked that the plot you see on paper is actually the plot you have visited?

6. Are there any underground waterways that pass through the plot?? If so you may have trouble getting planning and could take for ever.

7. Have you visited the planning department with the said title and ask if it is possible to build there? They won't tell you officially, but will give you an idea.

8. Are there any notes on title giving easements to anyone?

9. Are you buying the whole plot or a share? Important because otherwise you will need the other co-owner(s) permission and signatures for any applications you make.

10. Have you consulted any lawyer for advice and to make any checks before you part with any money.

11. Are you an EU citizen, otherwise transferring the title could take some time as you will need CoM permission

12. As for dividing the plot depends if it is residential or agricultural. If it is the latter, the no, if the former then only after you hve built the first property, of course you must site it correctly!

These are some of the questions you could be asking, there are more, but I think you get the gist.

Good luck.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Thanks Pan

In addition I would also suggest that VCY asks his architect to visit the site to see if the ground is suitable for building. (There are many areas in Cyprus where ground conditions render the land unsuitable for building.)

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

Nigel Howarth wrote: 07 Aug 2017 11:43 Thanks Pan

In addition I would also suggest that VCY asks his architect to visit the site to see if the ground is suitable for building. (There are many areas in Cyprus where ground conditions render the land unsuitable for building.)

Regards,
I would have said Civil Engineer as opposed to architect.
FSB Properties Ltd
VCY

Post by VCY »

Pantheman, thank you for the detailed response.
VCY

Post by VCY »

I'm interested to proceed with land (not plot) of 1338 sqm/1 skala, zone H6 (20%/20%) in one of Limassol villages. Next to it is a registered asphalted two-lane road , electricity, water. Pavement is missing on my part of frontage so I'll have to build it.

I met two civil engineers who say that everything looks OK, pending soil test.

I have the following questions remaining:

1) Behind there is another empty ~2300sqm plot without road access. According to DLS portal, that plot is adjacent to an empty space that looks reserved for a road, but it is not totally clear. What if the owner decides to develop and needs road passage? My plot is not the only adjacent one. Is it possible that I'll be obliged to cut off part of my land for an access road as part of planning permission?
2) Is there a chance that Town Planning will want to cut off a part to use a green area? Planning zone H6.

I will try to get answers from Town Planning directly, but forum's wisdom is also highly appreciated.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi VCY

I think the only people who will be able to give you a definitive answer is Town Planning.

Regards

Nigel
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

You do not need to leave green area your plot is too small.

Unless the neighbour has already applued for access, once you get your planning with you perimeter walls shown they won't ask you to provide access.

You could always agree with the owner to make application, at your expense and if you get what you want then buy it!!
FSB Properties Ltd
VCY

Post by VCY »

I have finished with the land purchase and want to share an update of how it went:

1) Below points apply to the simplest form of Land purchase, where land parcel is fully owned by a single owner, you buy it entirely and the land is free of encumbrance.
2) Two forms need to be filled in, one for N270 Land Registry and N313 for Tax office.
3) Tax office also required one more form related to Capital Gains tax, which needed to be signed both by seller & me.
4) Tax office will not accept payments in cash (unless it is a few thousand), only banker's draft. In any case, this is a headache specifically for the seller, who has to pay the tax before transferring the land.
5) Seller also has to present a certificate that there are no debts to the local authority.
6) In order to issue banker's draft for land payment, my bank wanted to see the agreement. Bank will undertake to perform the payment only once transfer receipt from Land Registry is presented. "Helpers" manning the desks in front of the entrance to Land Registry have boilerplate agreements - but I would highly recommend to use a lawyer.
7) Actual transfer at the Land Registry takes 1-2 hours. Seller registers himself at the Reception and waits to be called to the "Transfer desk". Person manning the desk may decide to refer both parties to "Valuation" office (not sure how its called exactly) in case he/she sees that the price is below their own calculation, which happened in my case. If Valuation does not have objections, they will put a signature&stamp on the form.
8 ) Transfer desk will perform final checks, announce the transaction details and ask both parties to confirm. At this point they tell you to pass the cheque to the seller and you go to pay the property transfer fees.
9) Title deed will arrive by post in a few months. Until then, receipt is your only hard evidence of the transaction - keep it carefully.
10) You will feel much better if you have a trusted person with you who speaks Greek.

Before purchasing land, make sure to follow advice in above posts. In my case I invited a civil engineer & an architect to hear their opinions. I had to reject a few pieces of land due to bad soil quality, some others due to lack of services in vicinity.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Thanks VCY - I hope others find this useful.

I'll move the topic to the 'buying land' section.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth