Pressure on values after reunification

Pre-owned properties
Edislaw

Pressure on values after reunification

Post by Edislaw »

I am considering buying a renovation property in Cyprus but hesitate because of the uncertainty over reunification. It is good from so many perspectives that talks are underway and one hopes will lead to a removal of the border between Cyprus and the illegally occupied north of the island. There is, I understand no agreed proposal over how to deal with the massive property problem but this must be part of any successful agreement. Given that there are a significant number of properties in the illegally occupied area and a significant proportion have dubious title will that mean that there will be a fire sale once these properties may be legally transferred?

As a small side issue I am curious as to how HSBC can operate in the illegally occupied area and how this is likely to affect the status of the bank after reunification?
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Pressure on values after reunification

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Edislaw and welcome to the forum.

No-one knows the details of the agreement reached to unify the island (assuming the talks succeed) let alone how it will affect property prices. There's an article at http://www.thecypriotpuzzle.org/federat ... of-cyprus/ about the benefit of reunification.

As for the Hongkong & Shanghai Banking Corporation - there are many foreign companies operating in the occupied area.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news