eviction laws in Cyprus

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
ptroncin

eviction laws in Cyprus

Post by ptroncin »

hello,

I hope to get some valuable help.

I have an apartment in Paralimni. An agency has full management and in December they found new tenants, a bulgurian couple to move into the property. Since march, they have not paid the rent and agency said she already sent several notifications and even eviction notice at the door of property. When she tried to call him he switched off his mobile and used his mother`s mobile instead and this is how the agent got hold of him last week. But still he has not paid.

I need to know about the laws in Cyprus for evictions. The agent telling me with the new EU laws, they cannot take repossessions of the property anymore; but my lawyer telling the cyprus laws still prevail and the agent should be able to take possession of the property and so directly evict tenants.

Can somebody help me regarding this issue? I deperatly need a quick solution,

many thanks.
Pantheman

Re: eviction laws in Cyprus

Post by Pantheman »

ptroncin wrote:hello,

I hope to get some valuable help.

I have an apartment in Paralimni. An agency has full management and in December they found new tenants, a bulgurian couple to move into the property. Since march, they have not paid the rent and agency said she already sent several notifications and even eviction notice at the door of property. When she tried to call him he switched off his mobile and used his mother`s mobile instead and this is how the agent got hold of him last week. But still he has not paid.

I need to know about the laws in Cyprus for evictions. The agent telling me with the new EU laws, they cannot take repossessions of the property anymore; but my lawyer telling the cyprus laws still prevail and the agent should be able to take possession of the property and so directly evict tenants.

Can somebody help me regarding this issue? I deperatly need a quick solution,

many thanks.
You need a different lawyer.

You can apply to the court for an eviction order after 2 months of non payment. When the order is served you can have them legally evicted. best to go with Police.

second method, not legal, but hey thats up to you, go with a couple of friends, get in change locks throw stheir stuff out, sit in house. Job done.

it's not the agents job to throw people out.

Good luck.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
ptroncin

Post by ptroncin »

hi,

Can I claim that I have no other place to stay outside my property in Cyprus and therefore been able to repossess my property by evicting them?

regards,

Patricia Troncin
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Dear Patricia

As Pan has already advised, you need to speak with a different lawyer and obtain an eviction order from the court for non-payment of of rent.

Presumably you have accommodation at the present time?

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
ptroncin

Post by ptroncin »

hi,

after cutting off electricity, the bulgarian couple left soon after leaving an electric bill of 570 euros.
First i need to know if I take a lawyer for legal actions, what are the chances to get any court action in my favor and also
how much would cost the legal fees.
Second question is regarding the water. I was told that normally the water board should chase the tenant for this unpaid bill at their next address. Is it true? so basically I should be able to get the water registered under the next tenant name without having to pay that unpaid bill.

best regards,

Patricia Troncin
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

ptroncin wrote:hi,

after cutting off electricity, the bulgarian couple left soon after leaving an electric bill of 570 euros.
First i need to know if I take a lawyer for legal actions, what are the chances to get any court action in my favor and also
how much would cost the legal fees.
Second question is regarding the water. I was told that normally the water board should chase the tenant for this unpaid bill at their next address. Is it true? so basically I should be able to get the water registered under the next tenant name without having to pay that unpaid bill.

best regards,

Patricia Troncin
Hi, good job getting them out.

Go to the electricity board and report that this tenant has done a runner. The outstanding about is his, you will not have to pay it and where ever he goes the arrears will be his.

As for water, sorry, this is owners responsibility, the councils do not chase anyone, their system is not centralised like the electricity boards.

You will have to payup the ater before you can re-register. In any case the council should be holding €34.85 deposit for the previous tenant.

Good luck hope that helps.

pan
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
ptroncin

Post by ptroncin »

hi,

thank you for the info but unfortunately this is too late as the agency decided to have the electricity cut off instead of water.
It means agency have paid the bill with the deposit paid by tenant initially but it does not even cover the full bill.
They should have known that because now I have to pay both bills. The agency has not checked yet the water bill.
Also I need to know if I can find a lawyer willing to take legal action for the amount of 1625 euros owned by these tenants.
Somebody willing to take the case with no retainers as the agency mentions.