Effect of Alterations on Final Approval

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
stevie b

Effect of Alterations on Final Approval

Post by stevie b »

We don't have title deeds for our ground floor apartment. Our view has disappeared and to get it back we planned to build a raised deck in the garden, on the basis of advice from suppliers that if it is made of wood and not fixed to the main building or the garden walls we would not need planning permission and the development would still pass the final inspection and not affect the certificate of final approval.
Before going ahead, a number of questions occurred to us. Shouldn't we find out if the development already has planning approval? if it doesn't then questions about final approval are academic. Does the high fence fixed to the common wall by our neighbours already breach the conditions for granting final approval?
We thought it might be prudent to get advice from the Town Planning Dept, but the telephone numbers we used last time we contacted them don't work. Does anyone have up to date telephone numbers and physical address for Town Planning? Is there a particular time/day in the week when they deal with queries from the public?
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Effect of Alterations on Final Approval

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Stevie,

It is always a good idea to check with (a) your developer and (b) the planning department before making any changes to the external appearance of the property.

The high fence built by your neighbours may prevent the issue of a Certificate of Final Approval - and your developer will be able to advise you about this as well.

You can find the contact details for the various Planning Authorities at http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/citizenschart ... enDocument - but I don't know how up-to-date it is. I suggest you try contacting the around 10:00am.

(I was at the Limassol District Office earlier today and the staff I spoke with were very helpful).

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
stevie b

Post by stevie b »

Thanks Nigel,
The address and phone number there are the ones I have, but the number is not in use any more. I don't even know if Planning is in the same building, 1 Kyniras Str, Paphos, or if they will see me if I go there. They used to publicise a specific day and time when members of the public could take queries to them personally, but that appears to have vanished. The Citizens Charter is full of stuff on the rights of individuals, but short on how to access them.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Stevie,

I haven't visited the Planning Office in Paphos for three or four years - as far as I am aware, they have not moved. You shouldn't have any problem talking to people there - as I mentioned earlier, I went to the Limassol District Office and spoke with the planners there - they were very helpful.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
stevie b

Post by stevie b »

Thanks again for your help, Nigel. After a lot of searching we found the following:
Paphos Town Planning and Housing Dept Enquiries 26804480. This phone is answered and you will be asked to state the area in which the planning query is based. In response, one or two phone numbers will be offered. If these are not in use, as was the case with us, phone enquiries again and get some different numbers. On the third number, we spoke directly to the Technical Officer and his assistant and were invited to visit Town Planning with the plans. The address is Block D, Centre Point, Neofytou Nikolaidi, almost opposite the Paphos District Court. There is a municipal car park across the road from the building.
Public visits to the Department can be made on Fridays and Mondays, 10am-2pm.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Stevie,

I found the number too - on CYTANET Yellow Pages in the Government Directory section. But you need to know that Town Planning is part of the Interior Ministry.

I don't know why these departments don't keep their websites updated - it makes you wonder how useful they area.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth