Co-ownership dispute

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
Dave_Lages

Co-ownership dispute

Post by Dave_Lages »

Hello,

I am writing to seek guidance regarding a complex situation involving an apartment in Cyprus that I co-own with my niece. The property was previously occupied by my late father and his partner for the last 20 years. My father, who recently passed away was the original owner of the apartment and he transferred the titles to myself and my niece a few years ago. Meanwhile, the titles mentioned that as long as he's alive he has the rights of living in the apartment.

Presently, my niece and the woman who was my father's partner for the past 20 years are residing in the apartment. However, this woman has no legal claim to the estate, as my father left no will behind, and the apartment was already jointly owned by myself and my niece anyway. Consequently, I am facing a disagreement with my niece regarding the future of the property.

Here are the key issues I need advice on:

1.Eviction of the woman:
*Can I request the woman who was my father's partner to vacate the property legally?
*Is there a legal avenue to compel her to leave, given that my niece, who co-owns 1/2 of the apartment, is allowing her to stay?
*Is obtaining a restraining order a viable option to remove her from the premises?

2.Forcing a Sale of the Apartment:
*Given my niece's lack of interest in negotiation, what legal steps can I take to enforce the sale of the property?
*What is the procedural course for initiating a sale, and how long might it take to reach a resolution?

I appreciate your time and help!
D
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Co-ownership dispute

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hello Dave

As you say it's a complex situation and I suggest you take legal advice on the matter. as it's far beyond my knowledge and experience.

Perhaps someone else on the forum can advise.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news