land + construction + rent for non-EU citizens

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
AntonM

land + construction + rent for non-EU citizens

Post by AntonM »

Good afternoon, everyone.
I searched for information for a long time until I found your forum. Now I would like to confirm my biggest concerns with the professionals here.
We wanted to buy a plot of land for the subsequent construction of a small weekend house. The idea was to buy agricultural land, put up a prefab house and garden on weekends. Did I understand the information I found earlier correctly:
- Are agricultural lands not being sold to non-EU members now?
- can a non-EU member only buy a "resident" plot to build a house? and then with restrictions
- is it true that even after the construction of such a house, as a non-EU citizen, I will not be able to rent it officially by the day (for example, through Airbnb) until I live there on weekdays (since I will not be able to get a license for it in principle). So I'm building just for my family's living?
- do I understand correctly that for the construction of any house, including a frame type (or container), it is necessary to obtain a building permit, or are there exceptions?
- in this whole situation, does it matter if I am an individual or do I arrange everything on behalf of the company? since the owner is also not an EU citizen.

Our initial data: family (non-EU citizens), residence permit in Cyprus, we live and work here, there is no other real estate.

I will be glad to receive any answers and advice from you.
Thank you.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: land + construction + rent for non-EU citizens

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Good afternoon AntonM and welcome to the forum.

I published an article in January 2021 that answers your questions. See [urlhttps://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers.com/202 ... d=00161115]Buying property in Cyprus and visiting post Brexit[/url], which applies to all non-EU nationals.

There's no problem renting the property - I know a number of non-residents who rent via Airbnb.

Regardless of what you intend to build - container, timber frame, etc., etc. You will need planning permission and building permits.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
AntonM

Post by AntonM »

Nigel Howarth wrote: 01 Mar 2024 15:28 Good afternoon AntonM and welcome to the forum.

I published an article in January 2021 that answers your questions. See [urlhttps://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers.com/202 ... d=00161115]Buying property in Cyprus and visiting post Brexit[/url], which applies to all non-EU nationals.

There's no problem renting the property - I know a number of non-residents who rent via Airbnb.

Regardless of what you intend to build - container, timber frame, etc., etc. You will need planning permission and building permits.

Regards,
Thanks for the information.
Yes, I read your article as well, but I didn't find any mention of agricultural land anywhere. I also read on the Internet that it is possible to build a house only for independent living and this excludes the possibility of renting. In this regard, is it possible to find the full text "The Acquisition of Immovable Property (Alliance) Law, Cap. 109" somewhere so that I can try to figure it out myself.
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

AntonM wrote: 01 Mar 2024 20:32
Nigel Howarth wrote: 01 Mar 2024 15:28 Good afternoon AntonM and welcome to the forum.

Regards,
Thanks for the information.
Yes, I read your article as well, but I didn't find any mention of agricultural land anywhere. I also read on the Internet that it is possible to build a house only for independent living and this excludes the possibility of renting. In this regard, is it possible to find the full text "The Acquisition of Immovable Property (Alliance) Law, Cap. 109" somewhere so that I can try to figure it out myself.
Non EU cannot buy agricultural to build as you are unlikely to get any building permit. Agricultural land is no longer developable only under very specific conditions that you will probably not meet.

They can buy land up to 4014 m2 with the purpose to build a single dwelling in reasonable time. As you require permits only build zones can get these.

As for renting it, I would question whether you can let it out if you bought and built it under the Cap 109 law. As the house is intended for you and your family . Others may be doing it, but it doesn't mean it is legal.

As for the law, it is written in Greek. However, I did find this, but can't be sure if it is current.:

http://www.mfa.gov.cy/mfa/embassies/emb ... penelement

and this one.

https://www.olc.gov.cy/olc/olc.nsf/E95B ... %20LAW.pdf

Good luck.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
AntonM

Post by AntonM »

Good afternoon. After collecting all the information, this is what I understood. Everything you wrote seems to be true. It seems my idea is doomed to failure ;( In any case, thanks for your time and links.
Transmitter Man

Post by Transmitter Man »

Anton, Just my 2c from living here for 10 years. I am niether a professional or expert on the subject. I am a British (so non-EU) citizen with permant residency in CY. I purchase a vineyard in Pissouri prior to the UK leaving Europe so this may of saved me! The land is in a protected zone (Z3). so no construction allowed. If, you can find a way to legally to purchase land then find some not in a protected zone such as Zone G3. It should have a registered path, track or road, I think within 500m then it is possible to get a single dwelling permit to build with certain restrictions as my next neighbour has succeeded in doing this. However, he is a Cypriot national. An alternative route, and legal if you can purchase land is to contact your local agricultural office and ask them what size 'warehouse' (Αποθήκη) they will allow on the land for growing. They have leaflets on the amount of trees, vines or whatever that you have to adhere to and they will come and inspect. The build size is small, but it is a start and you are able to update the title deed to show this 'authorised' construction. I have been down this avenue in the last 3 months here in Limassol. Photo shows looking across my Z3 3750 SqM former vineyard to the track (under registration) to Nicholas' 80 SqM bungalow on G3 land - and very nice it is too. His land is smaller than mine. https://ibb.co/85kpgGw I hope you can find a legal way to obtain land. Cyprus is not short of it, especially the undeveloped east.
AntonM

Post by AntonM »

Thank you for your attention to my question and the detailed description of your experience.