Extreme nuisance in residential building.

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
Alexios S.

Extreme nuisance in residential building.

Post by Alexios S. »

Hello everyone!

I own an apartment in Limassol on the main beach road, purchased with hopes of getting a decent return on my investment, however I've been facing a major issue with a bar located in my building on the ground floor facing the main street and many other residences and hotels, they play loud live music that starts at 22:00 and goes on until 1:00 - 2:00, the kitchen exhaust releases a disgusting smell and spreads grease all over the common roof area and they've obviously illegally extended the shop they rented onto the street.

Many of us in the building are disturbed by this situation, there have been multiple efforts to try and stop this issue. Management company and committee stopped trying, relevant authorities are too afraid to come physically and check decibel levels. I have personally installed double glazed windows that do minimal sound blockage just to portray how loud it is, tried calling the police multiple times during the night on many days, they literally do absolutely nothing about it, Ive also tried meeting with the Municipality of Limassol, Mayor and district in charge of the area, also nothing for years, they just keep waving me off to other people who do nothing to help. Many residents have physically complained to the police at the station, some are contemplating raising a class action lawsuit but it takes a lot of time and money, it also puts them in the spotlight, and some have personally gone down to ask them personally to cut it out yet they were threatened with physical violence. We have all types of people in the building ranging from elderly people to families with kids, many have lost hope.

The owner of the business seems to have many connections in the police/government and any fines he gets are paid with ease as he does quite well for being the only loud bar that stays till long hours in the night.

This is causing my family and I a lot of stress and psychological harm and I'm sure many others, I can also be renting my property as it is a very desirable location for short or long term rent, but I cant be asking for fair prices from people when I know they will have an unpleasant experience.

Please let me know if anything can be done.

Thank you for reading.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Extreme nuisance in residential building.

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Alexios and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear of the noise issues that you and others in the apartments are experiencing.

Have you taken legal advice on the matter?

It may be possible to get an injunction - a court order preventing the bar from playing music loudly and stopping the general nuisance it is causing.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
ApusApus1959

Re: Extreme nuisance in residential building.

Post by ApusApus1959 »

Nigel Howarth wrote: 30 Jan 2024 10:21 Hi Alexios and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear of the noise issues that you and others in the apartments are experiencing.

Have you taken legal advice on the matter?

It may be possible to get an injunction - a court order preventing the bar from playing music loudly and stopping the general nuisance it is causing.

Regards,
Not sure you can stop the bar playing music but isn't there a maximum Dba level that they must comply with, I know Paphos police have enforced this on some establishments in the past?

Shane