VAT recovery

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
whads354

VAT recovery

Post by whads354 »

Hello Nigel,
We bought our apartment, a new build, in 2008, became residents in early 2018 and applied then for a refund of part of the VAT we paid, which was at a rate of 15%. The application was registered and given a reference number. Four years later we have yet to receive the refund, the most recent reason given by the Ministry of Finance for the delay is that all refunds are held up by a legal review. This legal review was supposed to have been completed six months ago but we keep getting fobbed off with no information given about when, or even if we might receive the refund. Is there any advice you can give us on what's going on here?
Thank you
Steve
Pantheman

Re: VAT recovery

Post by Pantheman »

whads354 wrote: 28 Feb 2022 17:42 Hello Nigel,
We bought our apartment, a new build, in 2008, became residents in early 2018 and applied then for a refund of part of the VAT we paid, which was at a rate of 15%. The application was registered and given a reference number. Four years later we have yet to receive the refund, the most recent reason given by the Ministry of Finance for the delay is that all refunds are held up by a legal review. This legal review was supposed to have been completed six months ago but we keep getting fobbed off with no information given about when, or even if we might receive the refund. Is there any advice you can give us on what's going on here?
Thank you
Steve
First things first. The vat allowance was there for persons who were buying their first PERMANENT home. Since you bout it in 2008 and became residents in 2018, that in itself disqualifies you.

I am surprised they are still returning this vat. That said even though the rate was 15% they only paid out 10% return.

Currently there is a property vat issuing going on and I guess they are waiting for the final decision on what's going to happen.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
whads354

Post by whads354 »

Pantheman,

Thank you for your reply. There have been a number of owners on our development who were successful in this type of application, the last ones applied a couple of years before us and received their refunds after a two year wait. All of them applied several years after purchase when they became permanent residents. All of us brought new properties and they were our first purchases. I'm still hopeful but after your reply not so much.
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

whads354 wrote: 01 Mar 2022 15:59 Pantheman,

Thank you for your reply. There have been a number of owners on our development who were successful in this type of application, the last ones applied a couple of years before us and received their refunds after a two year wait. All of them applied several years after purchase when they became permanent residents. All of us brought new properties and they were our first purchases. I'm still hopeful but after your reply not so much.
Anything is possible, you you have applied then it's just a waiting game. I guess if you get it great! But things are changing all the time.

Good Luck.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com