New planned road outside home

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
mgeo

New planned road outside home

Post by mgeo »

Hello could you please advise on what rights we have as home owners to dispute a new road being planned which will dramatically increase the traffic outside our home?

We already have increased noise due to the road traffic dept changing the amount of time you have to wait at traffic lights about 200m away from our building causing a build up of traffic every weekday for 3 to 4 hours! We have to endure pollution from petrol and diesel plus the beeping of car horns of course. I've complained to the municipality on a few occasions about this and they asked me to report it to the road traffic department, which I have but all they say is they will look into it. Our municipality had also reported this. Nothing has changed for 3 years - except during lockdowns of course.

We are already suffering noise and pollution from increased traffic and I have now been told the municipality are planning on extending our road to connect it to a main road - so traffic will come from the main road to drive to the highway, past our homes. In other words a residential street (houses and apartments plus a school), will now be a high street! It's already like living in a town centre since the traffic light changes and it will just get worse. Is there any thing we can do?

Thanks
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: New planned road outside home

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi mgeo

As far as I am aware, there is no formal method of objecting to a road.

I think you've already done everything you can by raising the issue with the Municipality. As the planning department will be involved in the proposed extension, you could also raise your concerns with them.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
mgeo

Post by mgeo »

Thank you for your reply, I will contact them too.
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

Nigel Howarth wrote: 05 Nov 2021 19:32 Hi mgeo

As far as I am aware, there is no formal method of objecting to a road.

I think you've already done everything you can by raising the issue with the Municipality. As the planning department will be involved in the proposed extension, you could also raise your concerns with them.

Regards,
Nigel,

if they are planning a new road, alignment, widening, the Ministry announces this in the government paper, the scheme is advertised in the municipality / village council offices for a period of 3 months, After this you have 45 days to put forward your objections (doesn't mean they will heed them but they could change things). After this time if no objections the scheme goes ahead.

It would be worth checking the notice boards at the municipality and certainly worth a visit to the planning department, assuming you have not missed the dead line.

Good luck.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
mgeo

Post by mgeo »

Thank you, I think I've probably missed the deadline, but worth a try.