Getting a will made

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
Lizzie

Getting a will made

Post by Lizzie »

Good morning Nigel.
Its been many years since I have had to ask a question.
Your help has always been invaluable.
We have lived here now for 6 years and applied for MEU1 4 years ago, we have appt for (MEU3/MUK3) We bought the property before Cyprus was in the EU (2010), we have title deeds and we had permission from council of ministers to buy.

Since Brexit we are aware that should we pop our clogs things may be difficult for our kids to inherit. We have a will in UK but not here.
Can you suggest a good lawyer who will make a will in English and Greek, so that we know exactly what is in it, and so that a copy can be with our UK will.

We were considering transferring the title to the kids while we are alive, but with Brexit not sure if is of any advantage.

Look forward to your thoughts.
Best wishes
Lizzie
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Getting a will made

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hello Lizzie

I suggest you use one of the lawyers in your area that's on the list published by the UK Foreign Development and Commonwealth Office.

You will does not have to be in Greek, English will suffice.

It should only refer to your assets in Cyprus and should include a clause along the following lines:

"I, [your full name], wish the devolution of my property in Cyprus to be governed by the Law of my Nationality, namely English Law."

That will avoid your estate being treated according to Cypriot law (which is different.)

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news