Car port - planning permission required?

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
Johnandjen1

Car port - planning permission required?

Post by Johnandjen1 »

Hello all, I am getting conflicting advice from builders whom I have asked to quote for a tiled roof, open sided ca6x3m car port as to whether I need planning consent and/or title deed amendment.
I have the TDs for the house which is 190sqm on a plot of 850sqm. Coverage I’m told is 40%.
My concern is twofold. Firstly meeting any building regs from a technical point of view and secondly any problems when I come to sell the property with an ‘unidentified’ covered area if it is now added to the TDs.

I would very much appreciate a steer here please as to best/correct way to proceed.
Thanks, John
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Car port - planning permission required?

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi John and welcome to the forum

Generally speaking, any changes you make to the external appearance of a property requires planning permission. You need to check with your local planning department - I can't answer on their behalf.

I know that some people have problems as it's relatively easy to close in the open sides of a car port, convert it into a habitable area and knock through to the house.

Incidentally, you can't add an unidentified covered area to the deed.

I've got a separate garage block that was built together with the house. This had to be 3 metres from the house as the planners would have considered it to be convertible to a habitable area.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Johnandjen1

Post by Johnandjen1 »

Thanks Nigel.
It’s challenging to get to the correct person, or anyone who is interested, at the Paphos Planning Office and more so now given the Covid restrictions.
I shall persevere though.
As an aside, the parking area I wish to roof is more than 3 metres away from the house and road so maybe this is why builders’ advice differs.
Thanks again, John
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

Johnandjen1 wrote: 19 Mar 2021 12:49 Hello all, I am getting conflicting advice from builders whom I have asked to quote for a tiled roof, open sided ca6x3m car port as to whether I need planning consent and/or title deed amendment.
I have the TDs for the house which is 190sqm on a plot of 850sqm. Coverage I’m told is 40%.
My concern is twofold. Firstly meeting any building regs from a technical point of view and secondly any problems when I come to sell the property with an ‘unidentified’ covered area if it is now added to the TDs.

I would very much appreciate a steer here please as to best/correct way to proceed.
Thanks, John
If this parking was not on the original plans, you'll need a planning permit and a build permit. (This is the official route). Once done, you can then apply for the final certificate in which case you can add it to your title deed.

If you already have a title deed (that the house is registered upon, no just land deeds), then most people would just make additions regardless. I doubt very much if when you come to sell there will be any issue with this covered parking area. Most would be happy to get the title deed for the house than worry about what additions you have made as long as they are not serious offences.

If you could just clarify, when you say 'Coverage 40%' do you mean build density or land coverage? Not that it matters because you have ample coefficient left, just curious!
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
Johnandjen1

Post by Johnandjen1 »

Thanks Pantheman.
I believe it was the building density at 40% and I have full TDs which show the parking space within the plot.
Sounds as though I should not be overly concerned about putting a roof over the parking space even if it is of a more permanent type ie battened and tiled.
On that basis I will ask the preferred builder to go ahead and in parallel try somehow to get the structure onto the TDs.
Thanks again, John
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

Johnandjen1 wrote: 22 Mar 2021 19:57 Thanks Pantheman.
I believe it was the building density at 40% and I have full TDs which show the parking space within the plot.
Sounds as though I should not be overly concerned about putting a roof over the parking space even if it is of a more permanent type ie battened and tiled.
On that basis I will ask the preferred builder to go ahead and in parallel try somehow to get the structure onto the TDs.
Thanks again, John
John, you won't be able to get the structure onto the title without the permits. Personally I think its a minor issue and I doubt very much it will cause you any issues after. But please proceed as you wish.
FSB Properties Ltd
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Pan

I have an interesting situation that I haven't progressed.

My house and garage block were built at the same time and inspected. No problem.

But my Title Deed only shows the house - there no mention of the garage on the deed or the cadastral plan.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

Nigel Howarth wrote: 23 Mar 2021 12:21 Hi Pan

I have an interesting situation that I haven't progressed.

My house and garage block were built at the same time and inspected. No problem.

But my Title Deed only shows the house - there no mention of the garage on the deed or the cadastral plan.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
My first question will be, was the garage on the original plans?

Did the FC inspection and subsequent certificate mention it?

Can you send me a copy of your title so I can read what it says?

It may have just been a clerical error if the other documents detail it.

Other than this there should be no reason for it not being on your TD.
FSB Properties Ltd
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Pantheman wrote: 23 Mar 2021 14:30 My first question will be, was the garage on the original plans?
Yes - it was on the original plans
Pantheman wrote: 23 Mar 2021 14:30 Did the FC inspection and subsequent certificate mention it?
I don't know. I collected the certificatse from the planning office. I had to take one of the documents they gave to to the community office where it was stamped and signed by the mukhtar (which cost me €2 I think.)

I took the documents together with some other documents and the architectural plans my architect gave me to the Land Registry office in Limassol to get the house added to the deed.

The LR clerk took the architectural plans she needed plus the other documents, made up a file and gave me its AX number. (I think I paid €50 or so.)

Some time later LR surveyors came to check the property (I wasn't at home at the time.) They couldn't have missed it - it's a double garage with three store rooms - about 50sqm.

A couple of weeks later another guy from the LR came to check the surveyors work. I remember him very well. He was an English Cypriot and explained to me what he was doing and said it had taken some time to check my house as the LR were prioritising apartment blocks over single houses. He also said he could only check 3 properties a day as he had to write a report for each of them.

The revised deeds with the house arrived in the post.
Pantheman wrote: 23 Mar 2021 14:30 Can you send me a copy of your title so I can read what it says?
I'll do that. I've looked on the DLS database - Limassol/Erimi/Registration block 0/Registration No 5473.

That doesn't seem to be accurate. The house itself has a covered area of 220 sqm. and if you include the garage it would be around 270sqm. But the LR says it has Unit Enclosed Extent 237 and Unit Ancillary Extent 7. There's something wrong somewhere.

Thanks
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth