Transfer of Ownership

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
donotjudge

Transfer of Ownership

Post by donotjudge »

Hi there. So firstly I want to give some info about myself. I live in the UK. My father (Cypriot) owns land in Cyprus but hasn't seen it for 30 years. It is a plot of land in Agia Fyla, Limassol. We want to transfer the ownership to me. He searched for the title deeds but couldn't find them. Also, the land is 19 plots and half of it is ours (it has been divided in court before, instead of co-ownership). My questions are: How would we go about the title deeds, can we transfer ownership from the UK, if not can I transfer ownership by myself (UK citizen not Cypriot) with a power of attorney, if I can, can my father give me the power of attorney to transfer the land to myself without going to Cyprus and without title deeds? Thank you.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Transfer of Ownership

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hello donotjudge and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, your father cannot transfer the land to you from the UK, he'll have to appoint you as his Power of Attorney and you'll have to visit Cyprus to effect the transfer.

I suggest you father 'gifts' the land to you (so you'll avoid paying the property transfer fees).

You'll need the gifting agreement draw up by a lawyer in Cyprus and also the PoA document by a lawyer in Cyprus. I suggest you contact the firm of L.G. Zambartas - who are on the list of lawyers provided by the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office.

It may be more cost-effective for your father to appoint L.G. Z as his POA as you would not have to visit Cyprus.

Your father will need to get the PoA certified. Details of how to do this can be found on the Cyprus High Commission website. If London is difficult, the PoA can be certified by one of the Honorary Consuls.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

Title deeds can be had from the land registry using your fathers ID no. (if he has one), bt he needs to either be here or appoint a PoA.

Then you should check about title transfer, since the UK is now out of the EU and you may not be a Cypriot citizen, some rules may apply here being a 3rd country national, even though your father is Cypriot. I am just guessing here, it may be ok, but worth asking.

Otherwise, you need to do as Nigel has suggested above.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Thanks Pan

I believe that if donotjudge is a British citizen, he will need Council of Minister's approval before the property can be transferred and registered in his name. (But if he's a Cypriot citizen, there shouldn't be any problems.)

Cheers,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news