Selling house

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
Jp1967

Selling house

Post by Jp1967 »

Hi,
My mother in law (Cypriot National) is currently residing with ourselves in the UK.
Her health is deteriorating and we cannot see that she will be in a position to return and live independently, so its looking increasingly likely that she will need to sell her home.
Firstly, can anyone advise whether it is possible to sell directly from the UK or would a family member need to be in Cyprus to handle the sale?
Also, can anyone recommend a trustworthy real estate agent to value and market the property and a good lawyer to advise on Cypriot property sales?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks.
Pantheman

Re: Selling house

Post by Pantheman »

Jp1967 wrote: 03 Feb 2021 20:52 Hi,
My mother in law (Cypriot National) is currently residing with ourselves in the UK.
Her health is deteriorating and we cannot see that she will be in a position to return and live independently, so its looking increasingly likely that she will need to sell her home.
Firstly, can anyone advise whether it is possible to sell directly from the UK or would a family member need to be in Cyprus to handle the sale? - The sale could be handled remotely with the use of a Power of Attorney.
Also, can anyone recommend a trustworthy real estate agent to value and market the property - This depends on the area in which the property is located.
and a good lawyer to advise on Cypriot property sales? - Lawyers do not advise on the Cypriot property sales, Estate agents do this, but again depending where the property is could determine which lawyer you should use.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks.
My answers in RED above.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Selling house

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi JP

Pantheman is a registered estate agent. He may be able to to value and market the property if it's in his area.

As for a lawyer, the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office publishes a list of English-speaking lawyers. I suggest you contact a couple located in the same area as mother-in-law's home.

The lawyer will prepare a Power of Attorney document and send it to mother-in-law. She will need to take it together with her passport/ID and sign it in the presence of a Certifying Officer. You can read more about certifying documents on the Cyprus High Commission's website:
For a Power of Attorney to be certified the Principal (signatory) must attend the Consulate in person, with the document and either a passport or a national Identification Card.

If unable to visit the Consulate then Power of Attorneys can be certified by an Honorary Consul in the same manner as above.

Alternatively the document can be signed before a Notary Public and subsequently forwarded to the Consulate General in London for verification of the Notary’s signature and stamp. If this is to be forwarded by post it must be accompanied by a self-addressed envelope.

The cost for certifying a Power of Attorney or Verifying a Notary’s signature is £8 per signature. Payments must be made either in cash or by postal order. Postal Orders should be made payable to “The Cyprus High Commission“.
She will then send the signed and authorised PoA to the lawyer to get things moving. (I suggest using a courier service - I'm sitll receiving Christmas cards posted in November.)

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news