Many questions about investing in property

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
Jimmyjimmy

Many questions about investing in property

Post by Jimmyjimmy »

Hi I’ve been living in Cyprus for many years I’ve recently received a bill from the municipality of ayia Napa saying I owe them €500 for unpaid municipal tax . I did not know this tax existed I have never had a bill from them yearly saying i owe this . I’ve been told it’s usually about €20 a year which would not have been a problem if I was billed but I never was billed when I queried this I was told it’s my fault and I have to pay . Is this correct or can I fight this since I was never sent a yearly bill. Surely it’s on there computers all other bills are paid for and correct. How can they miss this and say it’s my fault. Thanks
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Many questions about investing in property

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Jimmyjimmy and welcome to the forum.

You were advised correctly - "I was told it’s my fault and I have to pay".

It's up to the taxpayer to register themselves with the various authorities in Cyprus and pay taxes, they will not come looking for you.

I see you've been living here for many years - I'm surprised you were unaware of the requirement to pay tax to the municipality.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Jimmyjimmy

Post by Jimmyjimmy »

But I was registered I have a business here pay my taxes water rates refuse all utility bills are paid for except this one . I just don’t understand how they have my info in the municipality but did not send me a yearly bill .
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Tell me Jimmy, when was the last time the Road Transport Department reminded you to pay your road tax?
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news