Selling Property in Cyprus After Family Member Dies

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
waterman56

Selling Property in Cyprus After Family Member Dies

Post by waterman56 »

Hello - My uncle (a US Citizen) passed away earlier this year and he owned property in Cyprus. My mother (also in the US) is the executor of his estate. We are trying to work out the process of how to manage the title and sell the property. In case it matters, my uncle was a single man with no children. I think the first step is to hire a lawyer to work out the ownership status and then we can start the real estate process, but I was not sure. Also, while we have some friends that speak Greek, unfortunately we do not, Is it likely that the lawyers and real estate people are fluent in english? Any information is appreciated. Thanks
Pantheman

Re: Selling Property in Cyprus After Family Member Dies

Post by Pantheman »

waterman56 wrote: 19 Nov 2020 00:40 Hello - My uncle (a US Citizen) passed away earlier this year and he owned property in Cyprus. My mother (also in the US) is the executor of his estate. We are trying to work out the process of how to manage the title and sell the property. In case it matters, my uncle was a single man with no children. I think the first step is to hire a lawyer to work out the ownership status and then we can start the real estate process, but I was not sure. Also, while we have some friends that speak Greek, unfortunately we do not, Is it likely that the lawyers and real estate people are fluent in English? Any information is appreciated. Thanks
Dear Waterman56, sorry to hear about your loss.

You will need a lawyer to do probate for your uncle, as without this you cannot make any transfers for immovable property. I guess your uncle had a will?

Under Cyprus succession law given he has no wife, children and I assume no parents?? then he can will his things to whomever he wishes, however, in case he hasn't or does not, his siblings are next in line in equal shares.

All lawyers here speak good English. Without the probate you cannot sell. Lawyer fees can be expensive, from around 5% of the estate value.

The process is easy enough, once you have commissioned a lawyer he will do the rest.

If you need a lawyer to help you let me know I can pass you on to mine. Where is the property located??

Good luck.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com