Keeping pets in jointly owned property

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
Steve Ferry

Keeping pets in jointly owned property

Post by Steve Ferry »

The immovable property law, with regards to jointly owned property, states

(k) keep any animal in any unit;
Provided that one may keep a domestic animal which does not cause any disturbance or contravention of any Law or Regulation which is in force

If one reads it literally, it states ‘a domestic animal’ which is singular rather than ‘domestic animals’ plural. Does this mean that only one animal ie cat or dog, is allowed or is this legal text and actually you could have a dog and a cat or a couple of cats etc?

I appreciate that this can be overruled by prior consent of the committee but would be interested in a legal interpretation of this section.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Keeping pets in jointly owned property

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Steve

I can't give you legal opinion on this, but I have looked at the Greek text, which you can find at http://cylaw.org/nomoi/enop/non-ind/0_224/full.html

The Greek text "Νοείται ότι μπορεί να διατηρεί κατοικίδιο ζώο που δεν προκαλεί οποιαδήποτε ενόχληση ή παράβαση οποιουδήποτε ισχύοντος Νόμου ή Κανονισμού" refers to animal in the singular - one animal.

ζώο - animal
των ζώων - animals

If you want legal opinion, you'll need to speak to a lawyer.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

Nigel Howarth wrote: 17 Sep 2020 08:55 Hi Steve

I can't give you legal opinion on this, but I have looked at the Greek text, which you can find at http://cylaw.org/nomoi/enop/non-ind/0_224/full.html

The Greek text "Νοείται ότι μπορεί να διατηρεί κατοικίδιο ζώο που δεν προκαλεί οποιαδήποτε ενόχληση ή παράβαση οποιουδήποτε ισχύοντος Νόμου ή Κανονισμού" refers to animal in the singular - one animal.

ζώο - animal
των ζώων - animals

If you want legal opinion, you'll need to speak to a lawyer.

Regards,
Even though this is in the singular, I think the interpretation is 'Domestic Animal' could be cat, dog, both or other suitable domestic. To me it doesn't register a 1 animal, it's just the way in which it is written.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Pantheman wrote: 17 Sep 2020 09:23Even though this is in the singular, I think the interpretation is 'Domestic Animal' could be cat, dog, both or other suitable domestic. To me it doesn't register a 1 animal, it's just the way in which it is written.
I expect if you ask two different lawyers they'd give you two different answers :-(

Cheers,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Steve Ferry

Post by Steve Ferry »

Thanks guys.

Surely though if the law intended to restrict ownership to ONE animal, it would have specified ένα κατοικίδιο ζώo so there is no ambiguity.

I suppose if it is left open to interpretation, the management Committee can read it how they want.