Can a landlord give me notice to quit

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
poposdad

Can a landlord give me notice to quit

Post by poposdad »

HI, just over a week ago my landlord tried to increase my rent in Cyprus from €700 pm to €1000 pm, he did this by sms and said if i don't agree then he would accept this as my notice to quit, last june he tried to increase it from €700 to €1200 which i rejected and haven't heard anything since. I had a contract when i first moved in 3 yrs ago which expired after a year but he said i could stay on as he had put the house up for sale. It is still for sale. In view of the current lockdown here and most removal companies are closed and then they'll have a big backlog to deal with, all rental viewings are not possible. He is purely trying to rent the property out for a higher amount, i've offered €850 pm which my limit as i'm self employed and wages are limited. I've always paid my rent on time every month, i maintain the pool and garden also and i pay the municipality, water, electric etc. No new evictions are taking place here until after the end of may. Good tenants are hard to find especially with so mant getting behind on rent due to this lockdown. Can he make us leave or how long would it take and on what grounds could he evict us in court. We're happy to move out once we find find something after the movement restrictions are lifted but he's not listening to anything, all he says is that he's the landlord and it's his house. Thanks in advance.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Can a landlord give me notice to quit

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi poposdad and welcome to the forum.

Evictions for non-payment of rent have been suspended until May 31, but as you are paying your rent, this doesn't apply to you. Furthermore, I believe this suspension only applies to statutory tenants.

But from what you say I believe you don't have a written tenancy agreement? Has he given you written receipts for the rent you've paid? (If not, I wouldn't be surprised if your landlord hasn't declared the rental income on his tax return.)

He can't just text you saying he wants to increase the rent - I suggest you ignore any text he sends you and carry on paying as you are at the moment.

He could go to court and try to evict you but teh courts are closed until further notice - and (hopefully) you have the receipts that you can use as a bargaining chip regarding non-payment of income tax.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
poposdad

Re: Can a landlord give me notice to quit

Post by poposdad »

Thank you Nigel for the reply.
I did have a 1 yr contract when i 1st moved in, it wasn't renewed as the landlord put the house up for sale. I've got proof of rent payments as i do it direct from my bank to his, i've never paid late. Is there a proper procedure to give someone notice to quit? i.e served letter etc, i'm sure he can't do it sms. Good tenants who pay on time especially during this lockdown must be hard to find. We will move at some point just to get away from all this but it's possible even to view properties or find a removal company at the moment.