Build Permit for Existing House on Agriculture Land

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
squashful

Build Permit for Existing House on Agriculture Land

Post by squashful »

Hello,

We are British and have been renting in Cyprus for quite a few years and are now thinking of buying.

The first property we viewed is complicated....but is there a solution?

The owner is trying to sub-divide his agriculture land into qty 3 plots 2000sq metres each. He has Title Deeds for the land as a whole 6000 sq mtrs approx. It would appear to be Z1 land. There are 2 properties on 2 of the plots and nothing on the 3rd. A lawyer for the Estate Agent has said there is no planning permission for any houses. There is EAC electric connected to the properties. The road is gravel, but not sure if it is registered. A few questions:

1. If we bought the whole plot, is it generally accepted that we can get planning permission for one of the properties?
2. I have read somewhere that there is a limit on how much land you can buy.....4000sq mtrs max?
3. Assuming we could get planning permission for one house what is the build density?
Pantheman

Re: Build Permit for Existing House on Agriculture Land

Post by Pantheman »

Dear Squasfal,

welcome to the forum, I will answer your questions below:

1. If we bought the whole plot, is it generally accepted that we can get planning permission for one of the properties?

NO, you are very unlikely to get planning permission to build anything on a Z1 (protected area) zone. Notwithstanding that, building on any agricultural land is prohibited and presently there is a cessation on any applications until the end of April at the earliest whilst the ministry decides what will happen on agricultural land.

2. I have read somewhere that there is a limit on how much land you can buy.....4000sq mtrs max?

This only applies to non-EU citizens. Currently since the UK has left the EU, I am not quite sure how this will be applied since there are many Brits with multiple properties in Cyprus.

3. Assuming we could get planning permission for one house what is the build density?

The build density for a Z1 zone land is 6% build and 6% covered, but this is a moot point as you will not get a permit anyway. Does it have access to a registered road, not what you see physically, but on paper.

Many properties that are built on these types of land have been done so illegally without permits, do you want to risk your money??

I would advise you do NOT buy any agricultural land for building UNLESS it has a planning permit, and in force, at the time of purchase. I know you are probably thinking, how can there be agricultural land with a permit, since I already mentioned it's not possible?? Well, the answer is, there are very special circumstances where locals MIGHT get a permit if they satisfy certain conditions, it it won't apply to foreigners.

Good luck
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Pantheman wrote: 23 Feb 2020 18:33This only applies to non-EU citizens. Currently since the UK has left the EU, I am not quite sure how this will be applied since there are many Brits with multiple properties in Cyprus.
Until the end of the Transition Period (31/12/2020) Brits can purchase as much property as they wish. Brits with more than one property will not be affected after the transition period ends.

But we do not know if or how this will change after the Transition Period.

And Squasfal, as Pantheman has advised, do NOT buy any agricultural land for building UNLESS it has a planning permit.

Regards
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Rodrickbos

Post by Rodrickbos »

Don't they change agricultural land into building land all the time?
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

Rodrickbos wrote: 31 Mar 2020 17:36 Don't they change agricultural land into building land all the time?
No, they don’t. Many areas get reviewed every ten to fifteen years to see if there is a need to move boundaries, but even then no one can predict what will happen.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com