Lawyer Fees not stated

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
Vavla1927

Lawyer Fees not stated

Post by Vavla1927 »

We appointed a Cypriot lawyer to be an ADMINISTRATOR in the matter of Administration of Estates Law CAP 189.
They said it would be a simple matter. The value of property is 110,000. They never mentioned what the fees would be. By making them Administrators now we have to pay them 9000 euros for filing some papers, nothing was accomplished concerning the land.
Is this an acceptible practice? Should they have not told us what the estimated fee would be before proceeding?
I am very disappointed! I hope this is not considered a legal way to charge a client?

Tim
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Lawyer Fees not stated

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Good morning Tim and welcome to the forum

The Cyprus Bar Association used to mandate the minimum lawyers' fees for out of court work, which included the administration of estates. If they charged less they faced disciplinary action, which could result in them losing their licence.

However, a successful challenge to the European Commission resulted in the Cyprus Bar Association cancelling the minimum fee regulations on 19 June last year.

You can read more about this at Lawyers’ price-fixing challenged in EC and Lawyers minimum fees in the bin.

But regardless of the cancellation of the minimum fee regulations, it has always been possible to negotiate lawyers fees as you would with any other provider of services.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Vavla1927

Post by Vavla1927 »

Nigel,
Thank you for the information, Our lawyer stated ignorance about the change in the law.
The lawyer wanted to know were I got the information. I am a surprised about this reaction coming from a professional.
It remains to be determined whether they will reduce their fee by a considerable amount. If they do not act reasonably for their mistakes,
do you know what governing body can be notified?

Thank you very much,
Tim
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Tim

All lawyers are sent details of changes/amendments to the law - you might ant to ask your lawyer why he doesn't read them.

You could also direct him to the amendment to the law, which can be found at http://cylaw.org/nomoi/arith/2018_1_107.pdf.

And also the full text of the amended law at http://www.cylaw.org/nomoi/enop/non-ind/0_2/full.html.

You can complain to the Cyprus Bar Association - https://www.cyprusbarassociation.org/in ... ubmittance - but I wouldn't hold your breath. Unlike the UK's Solicitors' Regulation Authority, they are NOT independent.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Vavla1927

Post by Vavla1927 »

Nigel, Thank you very much for the information, I hope ethical minds will prevail.

Regards,
Tim