Evicting a bad tenant - what is the process and how long

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
Mazotos Villa

Evicting a bad tenant - what is the process and how long

Post by Mazotos Villa »

hi all,

I have a holiday house in Cyprus, with my first tenant moved in April 2017. after the 1st month rent - nothing else has been paid.

the tenant appears to be an experienced Cypriot lady, that moves from house to house and not pay for few years until evicted.

Anybody has advice how what 'rent control area' is, and which areas are included.

I am currently going through the solicitors..but it has been going on since last May with no concrete actions.

It is frustrating that as it appears, Cypriot law does not protect property owners, so why rent if the tenant can stop paying and is nothing we can do?
Pantheman

Re: Evicting a bad tenant - what is the process and how long

Post by Pantheman »

Mazotos is NOT in the rent control area, and in any case, even it it were and she didn't pay rent she can be evicted.

You need to speak to a lawyer to apply for an eviction order to have her 'legally' removed.

Another popular method is to just go in when not there and change the locks, I doubt very much the police will do anything and in any case, she can sue you! hahaha on that one.

These type of people spoil it for everyone. I suggest you consider another lawyer if yours isn't doing his job, it is not rocket science after all.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
Mazotos Villa

Post by Mazotos Villa »

Pantheman thank you
I fully agree is not rocket science, and is stressing me out.
It seems the Cypriot law has some kind of protection for tenants, even if they do not pay.

I will find another lawyer and progress. wish me luck.

to be honest, I will never let my holiday house again, the Cypriot law and behaviour of locals is unbelievable (although I am fist generation Cypriot myself , leaving in UK)
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Mazotos Villa wrote: 08 Feb 2019 20:02I will never let my holiday house again, the Cypriot law and behaviour of locals is unbelievable
I received an email from someone today - their tenant skipped without paying rent "the house is exceptionally dirty, walls in bedrooms and bathroom covered in mould, oven is filthy, mild in pitch and fridge, everything is affected, including furniture.so obvious Nothing has been touched on 2 years."

Get a lawyer on the case who is prepared to work for you and get them evicted.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

Mazotos Villa wrote: 08 Feb 2019 20:02 the Cypriot law and behaviour of locals is unbelievable (although I am fist generation Cypriot myself , leaving in UK)
Sadly, it is not just Cypriot law and locals, I had rental properties in the UK and suffered the same problems, for whatever reason the law does side with the tenant, because we stupid landlords that have made the initial investment to house these people must be real dragons!

I finally got rid of them, fed up with worry if the tenants were going to pay or not.

You can get good tenants though, and this is the important part. I know a number of people that will not let to a local for this very reason.

Good Luck.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com