Non-EU buying half of a plot

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
propex

Non-EU buying half of a plot

Post by propex »

Hello. I am non-EU citizen but a resident of Cyprus for 5 years, looking to buy a certain house in Cyprus. It's built on a half of a plot, so the title deed is issued for the name of the owner and the share is 1/2 (there is 640 m^2 plot and the house is built on 320 m^2 part of it).
I was told I will have a problem with buying it because I am not a citizen so the owner has to convert the deed to first. Kindly confirm or deny, also the approximate time estimation to do it for him is very much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Non-EU buying half of a plot

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi propex and welcome to the forum.

I would be very careful and from what you say the present owner has a half share in the plot so the other half must be owned by someone else. So you will need both owners to agree to the sale. And the house you are thinking of buying needs to be 3 metres from the boundary - so it may not be possible to divide the land.

Do you have a copy of the Title Deed? If so please scan it into your computer and contact me via my Contact Page. I'll send you my email address for the scanned deed.

There is nothing legally that prevents you from buying a half plot, but you can have all sorts of problems.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
propex

Post by propex »

Dear Nigel,

many thanks for your kind reply. I have sent you every piece of info I have, please tell me your email so I will send you the deed.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi propoex

I've just sent you an email.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news