Rental property expenses

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
jenson

Rental property expenses

Post by jenson »

Hey everyone,

Thanks for creating this forum! It's super useful.

I am looking at the expenses of managing a rental property in Cyprus. I am sure that it varies wildly with the property type etc but I am looking for averages or typical ranges.

In order to make my question more specific please see below a couple of expenses I couldn't find any info about:

1. Property management (do they charge a percentage on the rent? does it change if it is an short-term rental (e.g. airbnb)
2. Insurance

Also, to narrow it down let's say I am interested in villas up to 3 bedrooms or apartments of up to 2 bedrooms.

Thanks in advance.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Rental property expenses

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Jenson and welcome to the forum.

If you're renting an apartment or an property in a complex with shared facilities, the property management fees will be paid by your landlord (unless your rental agreement obliges you to pay the management fees.)

These fees are based on the overall size of the property compared to others on the complex. So if an apartment has a total area of 150sqm. the fees would be twice as much as a 75sqm. apartment.

The management fees are for the insurance, maintenance, repair, etc of the common facilities such as swimming pools, foyers, stairwells, roof and the utilities. If the common facilities include heated an indoor pool, lifts, gyms, tennis court then the fees will be significantly higher than a complex with just the basic facilities.

Building insurance is included in the management fees. The only additional insurance is for contents.

The landlord pays the same fees whether they are short or long term rental - and the government is set to introduce tax on Airbnb-type rentals.

It's impossible to give ball-park figures for management fees because of the wide variation of what's provided on the complex.

Personally if I had to rent I'd go for a property that has it's own facilities rather than shared with others.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
jenson

Post by jenson »

Thanks for the response Nigel.

Interesting note about the tax on Airbnb rentals! Do you have any more info or a link we can read?

Also, do you need any special license to rent on Airbnb (or short-term in general)?
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

jenson wrote: 19 Aug 2018 14:41Interesting note about the tax on Airbnb rentals! Do you have any more info or a link we can read? Also, do you need any special license to rent on Airbnb (or short-term in general)?
Here are a couple of articles about government plans for Airbnb rentals (includes answers to both questions.)

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
jenson

Post by jenson »

Thanks Nigel.
jennfiermorgon

Post by jennfiermorgon »

Roof maintenance starts with scheduled inspection and basic repairs. In addition to inspections, also inspect the roof when it is exposed to extreme weather conditions like hail, snow or windstorm.In other words, regular maintenance is good for both your roof’s appearance and your wallet. EPDM Liquid Rubber makes roof maintenance easy and satisfying.