Transfer of Electricity Account

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
Vivi27

Transfer of Electricity Account

Post by Vivi27 »

Hi Nigel,

We are a complex with 4 electric meters serving 4 buildings. These meters have been in the Developers name as the Electricity Board will not transfer into the Complex name until the Committee is registered at the Land Registry. Luckily we had put the wheels in motion to register. On Friday the Developer had our electricity disconnected, even though we have been paying the bills for the past 4 years. The Electricity Board want 200 euros for each meter to be reconnected. This is ridiculous as the 800 euros we have to pay will be dead money, we will never see it again. Has anyone experienced this problem? Is it right that we should have to pay 200 euros for each meter, when all the meters will be registered in one name? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Transfer of Electricity Account

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Viv,

I have not heard of this before - I would have thought the EAC would have transferred to supply from your developer's name to the management committee.

I think you need to make enquiries at the EAC office.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
andyp

Post by andyp »

I let my house out in Cyprus and as of last year the EAC started charging 100e deposit every time the tenancy changes. They publish a list of charges on their website.
Vivi27

Post by Vivi27 »

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for getting back to me. We have actually been to the Electricity Board and even involved our lawyer in trying to sort this mess out. The Electricity Board will not reconnect unless we pay 200 euros deposit for each meter plus a reconnection fee. I do not understand why there is a 200 euro deposit on each meter when they are all going to be under the complex name and why it applies to a complex as it is not like a personal residence where it could be sold and you could get the deposit back. There must be other complexes in the same position who are not aware of this.

I am utterly bewildered.