Property Tax Calculation

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
donotjudge

Property Tax Calculation

Post by donotjudge »

My solicitors in Cyprus Limassol have applied to the tax office in Larnaca (where the property is registered) for the due taxes. Because taxes have never been paid until this date they mentioned it will take longer than usual to calculate. They are calculating the last year it was due which is I think 2014-2015. It has been just over 2 months and I'm wondering if there is anything to do to speed up the process. All answers are appreciated and feel free to ask any questions for more info!
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Property Tax Calculation

Post by Nigel Howarth »

I don't think there's a way you can speed up whoever's calculating the IPT.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

Only thing you can do is to keep hounding them until they get fed up with you.
Better still visit the tax office and chase it.
Failing this you are at the mercy of a broken incompetent system.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
donotjudge

Post by donotjudge »

Nigel Howarth wrote: 22 Jan 2022 09:15 I don't think there's a way you can speed up whoever's calculating the IPT.

Regards,
Problem is they've told my solicitor that they are way behind our document, and that they have not even assigned anyone. We sent our documents on 18/12 and they've said they are doing November's documents. For example, if we paid more than the average (for example double) would it be possible to transfer the land as they will have more than enough money to cover the tax? Our situation is very time critical and its already been 5+ months (2+ at the tax office). Or if not, any way to have the tax calculated elsewhere in limassol for example? I'm not even sure why its being done in Larnaca as the land is in Limassol. Really looking for a way out here but feel hopeless.

Thank you for your reply Nigel!
donotjudge

Post by donotjudge »

Pantheman wrote: 22 Jan 2022 15:56 Only thing you can do is to keep hounding them until they get fed up with you.
Better still visit the tax office and chase it.
Failing this you are at the mercy of a broken incompetent system.
They've told me they are way behind ours and doing Novembers documents and mine is end December (18/12). My solicitor has called them every week for the past 3 weeks and we intend to carry on. Hope that helps as i'm very frustrated as the whole thing is very time critical.

Thank you for your reply!
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

donotjudge wrote: 26 Jan 2022 19:14
Nigel Howarth wrote: 22 Jan 2022 09:15 I don't think there's a way you can speed up whoever's calculating the IPT.

Regards,
I'm not even sure why its being done in Larnaca as the land is in Limassol. Really looking for a way out here but feel hopeless.
2 reasons for this, either you have chosen a Larnaca lawyer that couldn't be bother to go to Limassol, or the tax file for the seller is in Limassol. Either way it doesn't help you, sorry.

We as agents are faced with this daily, imagine you cannot get paid until they see fit to do their jobs. Regarding the tax, it not just the tax on the land they need to check, but all and any unpaid taxes of the seller on anything else. A CGT calculation would be easy to do on just that one property, but that's not all of it.

Good luck with it, keep on at them.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
Morwenna Portillo

Post by Morwenna Portillo »

Have you tried registering and filing a complaint on taxportal.mof.gov.cy/? Maybe this will help move things off the ground.