Selling of Property if non resident.

General questions & discussions on Cyprus property related matters
Jackieve

Selling of Property if non resident.

Post by Jackieve »

Our property is on the market at present. Having taken legal advice it seems we have to prepare a mountain of paperwork and get some of it signed by Consulate of Cyprus and some if it notarised by a lawyer in our country of residence. We are British but reside in France. I would be grateful for some advice.
Thank you. 😊
Pantheman

Re: Selling of Property if non resident.

Post by Pantheman »

Jackieve wrote: 09 Sep 2021 13:07 Our property is on the market at present. Having taken legal advice it seems we have to prepare a mountain of paperwork and get some of it signed by Consulate of Cyprus and some if it notarised by a lawyer in our country of residence. We are British but reside in France. I would be grateful for some advice.
Thank you. 😊
Hello,

As I don't know exactly what legal advice you were given, but selling whilst abroad is very easy. All you need to do is to give a Power of Attorney to your lawyer and he does the rest.

The only paperwork you need to do is get the PoA either signed and stamped at a Cyprus High Commission, or get a Notary Public to notirise it using the Apostile Method (he'll know what this is.)

It is a single document. I dunno where you got a mountain of paperwork to do from!!

It is a common procedure we do it on a regular basis for absent clients.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi jackieve

Following on from Pan's advice, suggest you contact the Cyprus Embassy in Paris:

EMBASSY OF THE REPUBLIC OF CYPRUS IN FRANCE
23, rue Galilée
75116 Paris
France

Tél : (33) 01 47 20 86 28
Fax : (33) 01 40 70 13 44
E-mail : paris@mfa.gov.cy

Your lawyer in Cyprus will draw up a Power of Attorney, which you will need to sign in the presence of a Certifying Officer at the Embassy and return it to your lawyer in Cyprus. See http://www.mfa.gov.cy/mfa/Embassies/Emb ... enDocument

It may be that Cyprus has honorary consuls in other French town/cities to avoid you having to make a long journey.

I think these also a Cyprus Consulate in Bordeaux - https://www.embassypages.com/cyprus-con ... aux-france

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Jackieve

Post by Jackieve »

Thank you for your replies. The lawyers have asked us to fill in a 12 page Due Diligence questionnaire. They have asked for another copy (notarised this time) of our passports and also a utility bill. They have asked for a copy of Water,Electricity, and local tax bills.
I understand the need for the P of A to be signed at the Embassy but what a phaff.

Thank you once again fir your advice.

Jackie
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Jackie

I have never heard of this before. Is your lawyer in Cyprus?

To effect the transfer of a property from a seller to a purchase, you need:

A Contract
Confirmation that the seller has paid all relevant taxes.

(In your case (as you're not in Cyprus) you need to appoint a lawyer as your Power of Attorney.)

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news