Roof falling in

Is your place falling down?
Susan

Roof falling in

Post by Susan »

We have owned our apartment from new 8 years ago. A routine roof inspection has shown that one part of the roof is in fear of collapsing due to the supports underneath being spaced too far apart and the fact that the builders have used the cheapest wood which is now giving way. I know that the structural part of the building has a lifetime guarantee, is the roof classed as structural?
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Roof falling in

Post by Nigel Howarth »

I am not certain whether a wooden roof is a structural element. There is a construction engineer near Limassol who can inspect the property and give you his professional opinion.

If necessary, he will prepare a report that you may use to pursue if the developer if it is a structural problem.

If you would like his contact details, please send me a PM (click on the button below).

Regads,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Susan

Post by Susan »

Many thanks for putting us in touch with the engineer, his report has been very useful. I have asked our builders for the building specification for the roof area. We want to check that it has been built as designed and that the correct materials have been used. The builders have replied that these areas are outside of individual properties and the specifications are not included in individual contracts as a result they have said they will not be forwarding the information we have requested. I have asked the questions in my capacity as Secretary of our Owners Association. Surely they have to be answerable to somebody for the build? Can you help.

Secondly, is there any official department where I can ask questions about building regulations in Cyprus?

Many thanks for your help.

Susan
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Dear Susan,

The people responsible for the roof are the company you signed the contract with. I suspect they may have sub-contracted the work and are trying to wriggle.

Did the report from the engineer indicate there was a structural problem? If so, you need to take legal advice on how to proceed.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

I would say the supervising engineer / architect is more responsible and should provide details.

They would be members od ETEK the professional association that they have to be members of by law to sign off any documents.

I would be approaching ETEK to get some support or threaten the engineer / architect with it, I am sure they will ove their a**.

Another step is the district authority, you can complain their and they will have to send someone out.

Good luck.

P.S. I might be worth a solicitors letter to the engineer / architect, that will get them crapping themselves. I've had it with these substandard builds.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com