new house not up to acceptable standard

Is your place falling down?
gillbail

new house not up to acceptable standard

Post by gillbail »

I have had my townhouse for 9 months. When the first heavy rains came in February the downstairs was flooded because of a fault in the drain on the balcony and also in the upstairs from the balcony above mine. The developer agreed that the house would be covered until after the next expected heavy rains next February. However, with the thunderstorms this week there are new leaks and the house is flooded again. Do I have any rights to hand back the property as being substandard and not wind and watertight or is there any chance of getting another property without these defects?
GB
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: new house not up to acceptable standard

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Gill,

Sorry to hear you have problems - leaking roofs are not uncommon. Usually, when you buy a new property you get a 12 month guarantee for defects after you take delivery. As you've only been in the property for nine months, this should cover you.

It is absolutely essential that you write to the developer advising him of the problems you're having. (There have been cases where people have spoken to the developer only to find that he had conveniently forgotten the conversation at a later date).

There's also an article you should read in my magazine at http://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers. ... y/id=00439

Personally, I doubt whether you'll be able to exchange the property, your best bet is to pursue the developer to fix the leaks.

If you have difficulties persuading him, get your lawyer onto the case.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news