Roof in disrepair

Is your place falling down?
jen67

Roof in disrepair

Post by jen67 »

Hi
My friend bought an apartment in 2005 from a certain well known cypriot hotel chain that have been selling off certain blocks within one of their complex's. Some of the apartments have been sold, some havent. He doesnt have title deeds.

Since buying the apartment he has had a problem with water dripping into his apartment through the flat roof with being on the top floor, the roof is in disrepair and alot of the tanks all leak most of the time.

My friend lives in the UK but I am living here and looking after the rentals for him. I have spent over 300 euros getting the bedroom roof re-plastered and painted, only for it to get ruined again by leaking tanks. I have spoken to the hotel chain aftersales/maintenace/management, asking them if they are going to repair the roof, I get the usual Cypriot shrug of the shoulders!

I have obtained quotes to get the exterior part of his roof, of his apartment, repaired but I was told that it wont solve the problem as the whole roof needs to be done.

Are they responsible for this roof? And is there anything I can do about it?

There is no management/committee/communual fees etc on these apartments.

Thanks Jen
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Roof in disrepair

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Jen,

Properties usually come with a one-year guarantee against this type of routine fault. After that it's up to the buyers to maintain the property.

Does your friend and the other buyers have insurance? If so, they may be willing to pay to have the roof repaired.

But I'm surprised there is no Management Committee - this is required by law if there are more than four/five units in the block. And it's this type of problem that they would take care of. If the hotel chain hasn't established one of these, then the buyers, including your friend, can set one up.

But in the meantime, your friend should be talking with the other buyers and see if they would be willing to make a contribution towards the cost of sealing the roof.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
jen67

Post by jen67 »

Hi Thanks for the reply

Do the hotel chain not have any responsibility at all considering they still own half of the apartments in the block?

Is there a way to find out who owns each of the apartments that have been sold, apart from knocking on the doors, as this wont work, as most of them are rented out to foreign workers.

Thanks Jen
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Yes they do have a responsibility.

Like everyone else, they should be contributing towards the upkeep, maintenance and the insurance of the commonly owned parts of the building - to the Management Committee.

The hotel chain will have the names of the other buyers.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news