Water from Patio Above

Is your place falling down?
kitemark

Water from Patio Above

Post by kitemark »

We bought our flat in Larnaca in 2007. It is a block of 7 with two flats each on the first 3 floors and the 7th flat being a large penthouse.

Our flat unfortunately is directly under the penthouse's patio area and we are constantly having water damage. Each time we have informed the owner of the damage, she vehemently denies liability but then afterwards takes steps to reseal the patio. So far it has cost us over 2,500 Euros in repairs and we have just been told that the ceiling paint in our master bedroom has started to peel (before it was second bedroom and before that the lounge). We've had two builders round who maintain it is water damage from the patio above.

The penthouse owner isn't pleasant to deal with and has again denied all liability. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and what should our next move be (appointment a structural engineer to prove liability)?
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Water from Patio Above

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hello kitemark and welcome to the forum,

Unless the penthouse owner is willing to allow an engineer into the property to inspect, I think the first thing you should do is get you your lawyer to write the owners a 'stiff' letter and see if this brings them to their senses - adding a request that an independent engineer is appointed to assess liability.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
kitemark

Post by kitemark »

Thanks Nigel this makes sense. To save me posting again, could you kindly recommend a structural engineer or independent contractor?
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

kitemark wrote:could you kindly recommend a structural engineer or independent contractor?
I've emailed you the name and contact details of a guy in Limassol.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news