Title Deed Issues..

Do you have a problem getting your Title Deeds?
jumpingjax

Title Deed Issues..

Post by jumpingjax »

Hello, I am hoping you can help with advice on this problem we now face.

We bought our house at the end of May 2008 (a resale property) having confirmed that there were no mortgages outstanding and no other encumberances affecting the land. Our contract stated this, and that the vendor would provide the title deeds to us within 3 years.

We waited until last week (4 years) when we visited the Land Registry to enquire when we might receive them and were told that the land had not yet been divided (there are only 2 houses on the land and both were cash sales). The lady on the desk urged us to do a search on the land as there was 'something else' on it.

Our search came back in Greek, but looking at it logically entries 1 and 2 on the search relate to Alpha Bank and involves nearly half a million euros (1st entry) and what looks like interest on the 2nd entry, the 3rd entry relates to the house next door and the 4th entry relates to us.

The Alpha Bank entries were dated just 5 weeks after we bought our house, so the vendor must have known the Bank were in the process of calling in his debt. We are presuming this is some sort of court order or something like that. How do we find out what this is and what do we do now to get this removed, and obtain our title deeds?

Our solicitor told us at the time of purchase that nobody could put a mortgage on the land without our knowledge once we had lodged our application for title deeds, but clearly something has been lodged.

We would be grateful for any advice you can offer on the way for us to proceed.

Regards,
Jax
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Title Deed Issues..

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hello Jax & welcome to the forum.

Providing that your deposit of your contract of sale pre-dates the entries of the Alpha Bank, you have nothing to worry about.

Claims (such as your contract and those of the Alpha Bank) take priority on a first-come-first-served basis.

If you can scan the search results into your computer and send them to me (I've sent you a PM with my email address) - and also your contract of sale, I'll look over them for you and let you know if there are any problems.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
jumpingjax

Post by jumpingjax »

Hello Nigel,

Many thanks for the swift response. I will get them scanned in and send them to you later today.

Kind regards,

Jax
andyp

Post by andyp »

A very similar thing happened to me Jumpingjax.

When I signed my contract there was no mortgage on the house but my lawyer, who was subsequently found guilty by the Cyprus Bar Disciplinary Board, deliberately delayed registering my contract until after the developer registered a mortgage on it.

I hope things work out for you but you may be in for a long battle.

Best of luck.
jumpingjax

Post by jumpingjax »

Hi andyp,
Thanks for the good wishes, our Lawyer did lodge our application straight away, it is all down to the devloper, so hopefully we will be able to get things sorted out. I really hope it's not going to be a long battle though!
Jax
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi andyp

Jax has been in touch with me and I've looked into the situation. Lawyer is blameless.

Cheers,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
andyp

Post by andyp »

Nice to see those three words in the same sentence Nigel.