Do I really need to worry about title deeds?

Do you have a problem getting your Title Deeds?
LeeJames

Do I really need to worry about title deeds?

Post by LeeJames »

Hi, Hope someone is able to provide some clarification, as there is so much conflicting information out there.

We will be on another house viewing trip in August (all being well with flights), and 2 of the houses are intended to view do not have title deeds, I understand that getting a mortgage or trying to sell them in the future without title deeds may be an issue, however, we have no plans to sell in the future and are cash buyers.

My concerns are;
  • Is there any danger that we could face costs? - We will engage a lawyer and ensure that the land is free of debt
    How do we know the house had planning permission?
    Would we legally own the land/house
Are there any dangers we need to be aware of?

thanks Lee
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Do I really need to worry about title deeds?

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Lee and welcome to the forum.

There are risks involved with buying a property without Title Deeds. In the worst case scenario, you could lose all your money and (potentially) the property could be demolished.

After years of bad publicity, most estate agents will only advertise properties with Title Deeds, but you still need to be very careful.

You will not become the owner of a property until its Title Deed is issued in your name. And even if the property has a Title Deed, it will be worthless if it suffers from serious planning infringements (these are noted on the deed.)

So don't waste your time looking at properties without Title Deeds, you coud end up in deep dodo. (I know people in Paphos whove been waiting for their deeds since 1997 - noone will buy them.)

Of course, if you want to throw your money away, buy whatever takes your fancy.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
LeeJames

Post by LeeJames »

Nigel,

Thank you for the advice.

It would explain the very tempting prices, but my money was too hard to come by to throw away.

Thanks
Marissa

Post by Marissa »

Yes worry.. we have been trying to get our deeds since 2009. The Developer went Bankrupt and left a mess. the land is mortgaged and the permit we have for building is apparently out of date.
Save your money and please even if there are Deeds, do your homework