BREXIT Implications for Residents and Owners

Do you have a problem getting your Title Deeds?
JohnnyCyprus

BREXIT Implications for Residents and Owners

Post by JohnnyCyprus »

What views are there on the implications of UK leaving and Cyprus remaining in the European Union for:

a) UK citizens currently resident in Cyprus

b) UK resident citizens owning property in Cyprus

c) Cyprus citizens resident in UK

d) Cyprus citizens owning property in UK
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: BREXIT Implications for Residents and Owners

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hello JohnnyCyprus and welcome to the forum.

No-one will be able to answer your questions until an agreement between the UK and EU has been reached (or not as the case may be.)

Regards
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
JohnnyCyprus

Post by JohnnyCyprus »

Thank you for the welcome and for this resource.

Of course none of us know but, some may have a view on the matter?

It is clearly of the highest relevance to many accessing this board, yet it seems we are completely in the dark.
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

JohnnyCyprus wrote: 10 Feb 2018 01:28 Thank you for the welcome and for this resource.

Of course none of us know but, some may have a view on the matter?

It is clearly of the highest relevance to many accessing this board, yet it seems we are completely in the dark.
My view is nothing will change because UK citizens lived and owned property in Cyprus and vice versa long before Cyprus joined the EU, so I don't see why that should change.

Medical and pension agreements (bilateral) were in place before the EU came, again I don't see them changing.

All in all, most things will remain, ok, perhaps you need to go in a different queue when you arrive here or when you goto the uk passport control, but I don't think people should be unduly concerned.

That's my take on it.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
JohnnyCyprus

Post by JohnnyCyprus »

Thank you; that is interesting.

I had wondered, once BREXIT is effected;

a) Will UK visitors require their new blue passports to be stamped on entering and leaving Cyprus and other EU countries? (As, I believe is now the case for other visitors from outside the EU)

b) Will UK remain on the list of countries whose citizens do not require a visa for stays in Cyprus of up to 90 days? (But might stays of over 90 days require a visa?)

c) Will Cyprus continue to issue the 'Yellow Slip' to UK citizens staying for over 90 days?

d) How might those UK citizens working in Cyprus be affected?

e) When might the current preparations for Cyprus join the Schengen zone conclude and how might that affect non EU visitors?

f) Will UK leave the SEPA and how might this affect the cost of Euro transactions for non resident property owners? (Offshore Bank accounts would seem to operate as if they are within SEPA, although they are based outside EU; ie IOM, Jersey, etc.)

As Nigel has said perhaps we cannot know the answers, but are these matters even being considered by our respective governments?
Pantheman

Post by Pantheman »

JohnnyCyprus wrote: 10 Feb 2018 21:22 Thank you; that is interesting.

I had wondered, once BREXIT is effected;

a) Will UK visitors require their new blue passports to be stamped on entering and leaving Cyprus and other EU countries? (As, I believe is now the case for other visitors from outside the EU)

b) Will UK remain on the list of countries whose citizens do not require a visa for stays in Cyprus of up to 90 days? (But might stays of over 90 days require a visa?)

c) Will Cyprus continue to issue the 'Yellow Slip' to UK citizens staying for over 90 days?

d) How might those UK citizens working in Cyprus be affected?

e) When might the current preparations for Cyprus join the Schengen zone conclude and how might that affect non EU visitors?

f) Will UK leave the SEPA and how might this affect the cost of Euro transactions for non resident property owners? (Offshore Bank accounts would seem to operate as if they are within SEPA, although they are based outside EU; ie IOM, Jersey, etc.)

As Nigel has said perhaps we cannot know the answers, but are these matters even being considered by our respective governments?
All good questions, but you cannot get any definitive answers just yet. Perhaps you should put them to the High Commissioner and see what his take on it will be, he may be more up to speed with things. I doubt anyone could really have a take on these types of questions. I guess we just need to wait and see. I don't think you should be concerned too much, I doubt Brit residents living in Cyprus will be hard done by.
For all your property needs, we offer Trust, Integrity, Honesty.
FSB Properties Ltd
Registered and Licensed Real Estate Company. Reg. No. 1145, Lic. No. 572/E
Member of ETEK Registration No. A201999
https://www.fsbproperties.com
JohnnyCyprus

Post by JohnnyCyprus »

Thank you for your response.

It seems you are right: no-one seems to know where this is heading, certainly not the UK government.

Perhaps Cyprus officials might have a position, but they have been curiously muted.
JohnnyCyprus

Post by JohnnyCyprus »

It is almost three years since I made the original posting and we still don't have the answers.

Many owners have decided to apply for residency status, even those that do not spend over 183 days in Cyprus. They will have to file tax returns in both Cyprus and UK in future.

The concerns about offshore banking and SEPA payments have come to a head.

The issues raised in the original posting may have received scant attention by the UK government and we merely hope that the Cyprus government will be kind to us. Perhaps the 90 day rule will not apply here, but even so, owners will face restrictions travelling elsewhere in the EU.

Currently the recently imposed travel restrictions due to Coronavirus highlight the different treatment of those without residency status.

Perhaps latest negotiations will conclude soon and all our worries will be swept away.
JohnnyCyprus

Post by JohnnyCyprus »

Further to my recent posting, it is now clear that the Cyprus authority's policy is in future to date stamp UK passports on entry and exit unless the holder has a residency permit.

It is stated that the limit of 90 days stay will be applied to those without residence permits.

This document issued by the Civil Registry and Migration Department covers the matter: https://brexit.com.cy/assets/img/PDF/Br ... DATED2.pdf

To obtain a residence permit one must satisfy the requirements as to continuity of residence, which is qualified by this statement:
"Continuity of residence is not affected by temporary absences not exceeding a total of six months a year,
or by absences of a longer duration for compulsory military service, or by one absence of a maximum of
twelve consecutive months for important reasons such as pregnancy and childbirth, serious illness, study
or vocational training, or a posting. Continuity of residence is broken by any expulsion decision duly
enforced against the person concerned."

Mere ownership of a property does not qualify one for a residency permit. One must live in Cyprus for at least six months a year, which would mean one would also fall into the tax residency requirement.

I don't understand why the authorities do not simply ask applicants to produce their Tax Identification Number.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

JohnnyCyprus wrote: 17 Dec 2020 18:15I don't understand why the authorities do not simply ask applicants to produce their Tax Identification Number.
As you're resident in Cyprus for tax purposes, then you need to have an MEU1 (or MEU3).

Why register to pay tax in Cyprus if you're not resident here?

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
JohnnyCyprus

Post by JohnnyCyprus »

Exactly - like many owners of property in Cyprus, I am not resident for tax purposes. I spend less than 183 days in a calendar year.

However I might like to spend more than 90 days in my house during a rolling six month period, but could only do so If I were to meet the residency requirements. if I wish to spend say three months in the spring and return to Cyprus in September, for a couple of months, that would not be permitted without a residency permit.

Perhaps I did not explain it very well. If I want to stay for more than 90 days I must have a residency permit and a "TIN". Like me, not all property owners have been willing or able to do that.
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

JohnnyCyprus wrote: 18 Dec 2020 01:54If I want to stay for more than 90 days I must have a residency permit and a "TIN".
That will not be necessary:

"As of 1/1/2021 and as stipulated in the Regulation (EU) 2019/592 of the EU, “nationals of the United Kingdom who are British citizens will be exempt from the visa requirements when travelling to the territory of the Member States, for business, leisure or other purposes”. The provision will apply for up to 90 days within a period of 180 days." - see https://brexit.com.cy/visas.html

If you want to spend more than 90 days in Cyprus and other EU countries within a period of 180 days post-Brexit, I expect you'll need a visa and provide proof that you have sufficient money to finance your stay and return to UK.

You can find further information at EU Regulation 2019/592

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth