Title deed separation

Do you have a problem getting your Title Deeds?
Daniel S

Title deed separation

Post by Daniel S »

Hello, I have a couple of questions about title deed separation you hopefully can help me with:
I think about buying a building plot together with a friend to either build a pair of semi-detached houses or two separate houses with less than 6 meters in between on it (the single plot). I heard from somebody that it would be possible to buy the plot together and get the title deed separated after the houses are built. Is this correct? And would it also be possible to get separate title deeds directly after buying the plot and before building the houses? Or would this lead to, that then the 3 meter distance would also have to be kept to the newly created border between the half plots - which would make it impossible to build a pair of semi-detached houses or two separate houses with less than 6 meters in between? And if it shoult be possible to get separate title deeds directly after buying the plot - would it also be advisable? Or would this for example increase the processing time, or the time before we could start to build, dramatically?

Regards
Daniel
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Re: Title deed separation

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Daniel and welcome to the forum

I believe it would be more straightforward for you to build a pair of semis and then split the plot into two. (There are several pair of semis very close to where I live.)

(When we built my house we had to leave a 3 metre gap between the habitable part of the house and the boundary wall.)

I suggest you check with the planning authority to see what you'll be able to build on the land. They should give you their thoughts, but nothing in writing.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Independent information & advice for Cyprus property buyers
Contact Nigel Howarth
Read the latest Cyprus property news
Daniel S

Post by Daniel S »

Hello Nigel,
thanks for the welcome and the advice! :-)
Nani.cyprus

Post by Nani.cyprus »

Sorry to jump into this topic but this 3 meter rule is really tough? We are really in a difficult situation now. We have a detached house and we have a distance less than 3 meters from our neighborhood (~2.5). There is a window on both the side where the total distance is less than 3 meters. Now the final approval guys came for measurements and they did not look very happy. What are our alternatives now as we know this will give isues in getting final approval. If removing window will solve the purpose? Or this rule of 3 meters is really tough? Please help !!!

Thank you!
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Hi Nani.cyprus and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, As far as I am aware, there is no way around the 3 metre rule. Blocking up the window will not help.

In my case, it wasn't the inspectors from the planning office who measured the gap to the boundary. The surveyors from the Land Registry checked the distance.

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
Nani.cyprus

Post by Nani.cyprus »

Thank you Nigel for the prompt reply

These people came from municipality to measure. As after this measurements and final approval our neighbor and I were supposed to go for the divisional permit. Seems its a huge problem now as the distance is not 3 meters. Please let me know if there is any way out of this. Thank you very much!!
Nigel Howarth
Site Admin

Post by Nigel Howarth »

Assuming you get a final certificate, which indicates the property has been built according to the authorised plans & permits, you can then apply for a division permit.

If the lack of a 3 metre gap prevents the division, you will still be able to own a share in the whole of the plot and the buildings.

Do you have a Title Deed?

Regards,
Nigel Howarth
Contact Nigel Howarth
Nani.cyprus

Post by Nani.cyprus »

Thank you for the reply Nigel

It's a new house. Two houses are built on one plot so we need to get divisional permit and then title deed.

This 3 meters thing will have issues in final approval i believe.

Not sure if there is any option to have distance of less than 3 meters.

Thank you once again for your advise.